Skiing the Presidential Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangergirl

Reaction score
So, I have done the Pemi Loop in the winter and the Presi Traverse twice in the winter. I am looking for a new adventure. Has anyone skied the traverse in the winter? If so, what do I need to know. I will be using a split board (probably in ski mode most of the time) and my boyfriend will be using AT skis. We are not planning on camping and would try to do it in a day. :)

That's going to be a big challenge. I've never heard of it being done, but I suppose it's possible. There will be large sections that will require removing the skis and walking, so crampon compatible boots will be required. Hiking up there in wind with skis on the back will be like hiking with a sail, so the lower you can attach them to your pack the better. The splitter will be somewhat better than the AT skis in that regard.

Frankly, I'm not sure this trip can be done, but it would be very interesting to try. The skiing will be awful for the most part, but that may be part of the charm. You won't get much gliding and you'll be hitting a lot of rocks.

You'll probably get a lot more informed responses on http://www.timefortuckerman.com/forums/index.php since those folks have skied most of the ridge in pieces.

Depends on a few things. When you say Presie Traverse it depends on what route you are talking about. IMO you would have to have a banner year of Snow to do all the Summits without having to take your skis off. Even in a banner year I would plan on carrying your skis/board in certain spots. Taking the low road approach you will probably have the best chance of success. Up Valley Way avoiding Madison and Adams through Thunderstorm junction, across to Edmunds col with the right Snowpack is totally a go. Probably a good chance you will have to carry at that point up and over to the Jefferson Lawn. Skis will go again from there around Clay to the Cog. Depending how the Snow pack is again up over or around George has many variations. Monroe can be tricky or stellar depending on the Snowpack. Up and over Monroe would most likley be a carry; but if you are lucky and the Snowpack is stable the traverse around Monroe is totally skiable. Be Aware this is a Potential Avy Path and it is a long way down to the bottom here. Franklin can go either way but in a good year you could make it over and around Ike onto the Crawford path and down to the Highland. Around Ike can also be an instable area and as with Monroe it can be better to carry over Ike. Again a low traverse. I would'nt even consider Pierce down to the Pah and over to Webster Cliff as this would be trolling for spruce and bones even in a good year. This route is usually done in later season (March to Early April) when the Snow pack has matured in conjunction with longer, warmer, and a less windy day. I would keep your ear to the ground on conditions and plan on calling in sick as to be spontaneous and pull the trigger when the time is right. You can PM me with other specific questions as I've done this route a few times. Getting the right Snowpack and picking the right day are key here on this one! Have a great day if you do this...it's a Classic! ;):D:)

Keep the info coming! The part that worries me the most is the traverse around monroe and the crap on the crawford path. Some of the trip will definitly be a carry, especially if we do the summits but I think we may be able to bump and grind ourselves through it if we do the research. I have done the Traverse 2x in the winter and once in the summer. Escape routes would be a challenge depending on conditions. I would be wearing my Spantiks with the splitboard and bringing crampons. I think we could skin up to Madison hut and probably traverse the summits or bag them by hiking up. I like challenges and think this sounds fun! Keep the info coming and if anyone has attemted it let me know! :)

Great replies so far. I remember hearing about numerous Presi ski traverses in the early '70s; ask Rick Wilcox or any of the older guides at IME, EMS, or other guide services in North Conway. My guess is that even in those big snow winters skis had to be removed for some of the summit cones as already noted.

However, after that wicked Nor'eastah in early April 2005, or maybe April 2006, I think, one could have skied right to the tops of Madison and Adams via Valley Way (you can search for some posts about this event as some of us were snowshoeing the northern Presi's the following weekend and commented on the interesting snow cover after that storm).

DG--can you ski was well as ride? I can't imagine a splitter being the best sliding implement for a traverse. The time wasted alone having to split and unsplit, plus the fact that a board in split mode isn't as maneuverable as a pair of skis makes me think you'd be better off on skis. Just my 0.2 (my sweetie rides a splitter, so I have some idea of what I'm talking about.)

Leaf, that snowfield looks SWEET! :D

El Bagger (sp?) has done all the 4000ers on skis correct? He'd have some good input.

Good question. As Dr. D suggests, I believe the range has been traversed on skis before. Any question like this is hard to get a handle on without descending into Clinton-esque (and thereby Presidential) analysis of the meanings of "traverse" and "on skis". Do you have to go over every named summit to "traverse" the range? How much "taking skis off and hiking" is permissible on the ascent? What about the descent? For that matter, what does "skiable" mean? If you are wearing skis but are carefully sidestepping across the felsenmeer, are you skiing? As a seeker of adventure (as opposed to a universally-accepted record), perhaps one's own judgment is required.

Meta-analysis aside, I consider it a doable itinerary, especially if you stay low. (I actually think it is likely doable entirely on skis, including all the summits, but that's pure stunt and not really skiing.) For example, I bet one could take Valley Way, along to Gulfside, to the summit of Washington, down to Crawford Path.

Despite the alpine rigors of the route, I think it would be easier on lighter skis than on heavier. Unless you deviate from the route, you won't be bombing down deep, open snowfields at high speed. You will be climbing a steep, narrow trail to get above treeline; you will then traverse over a dozen miles of broken, windswept plateau, over a mix of icy scree and sastrugi, possibly climbing talus and scree to summits, all of which will likely occur with a strong wind across your face, before you descend yet another steep narrow trail. I've skied portions of the route on a variety of gear, but have found light touring gear suits my style better than heavy downhill-oriented gear for this area. (Obvious exceptions if you plan to descend any of the principal drainages, as opposed to sticking to the ridge.)

Also worth noting is last spring's TR: Circumnavigation of Mount Washington, NH 4.16.09 in which the members of the party "ski all 6 major drainages of Mount Washington in a single day". Something of the opposite interpretation of a ski traverse in that it focuses on steep terrain as opposed to a longitudinal traverse, but impressive.

With regards to that steep slope on Jefferson. It is a bit lower than where that snow was shown, but Leaf may be refering to the danger from the ice coating the snow on that angle.

The steep section on Jefferson is just coming out of edmunds col on the gulfside when heading south. My brother and I were easily able to circumvent this section (heading north) at a time when that slope was a bad ice sheet, (by continuing across the plateau to the west before dropping down to edmunds col from the west).

Right now I would say, too many rocks! Hopefully later in the season it wont appear so icy for you. Good luck!

We are really just looking to go out and have some fun! I think we would wait for some pretty good weather to attempt this and we may or may not hit the summits. I do feel comfortable using the split board in ski mode for most of the trip. It is awkward but not too bad. We have done the traverse in a steady 60mph wind with higher gusts and were getting blown all over with crampons on, I could not imagine doing that on skis. Hopefully we get a good snow year, a calm day, and a bit of luck so we can pull this off! :)