Sking at Wildcat?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
Hi I understand you can ski at wildcat before they open, I heard you just have to climb it. They look like they have some awesome powder or more likely heavy wet snow. I want to go tommorow but, I was wondering which way you go up? Can you hike up the trails or do you need to go up nineteen mile brook trail and wildcat ridge trail up to the top? Also does anyone know how long it takes to climb? How many runs can you get in??

Thanks in advance

Chris

People have been skinning up the ski trails, I'm sure there are plenty hiking too.

I'll be there at 7 if you're interested in meeting up.

May seem unbelievable to some, but should power and phone be restored to Wildcat Thursday, they are going to ATTEMPT to open for the weekend. As in RUN LIFTS.

There is an unimaginable amount of snow up there for October, this afternoon there were folks skiing Black Cat, Starr Line, all of the old Gondi Line---- stuff that often doesn't open until late December/January because it takes natural cover in quantity.

If you plan to earn your turns, think snowshoes/skins, or you'll just be postholing yourself to exhaustion. Nothing is groomed ( yet LOLOL) so rock skiis would be the rule of the day..

Can't speak to the snow quality up top, but it is definitely heavy at base.

Glades---- don't know for sure, but looking at the tree damage up 16, count on lots of same in the woods.

It is truly stunning and "other worldly" up there.

From Conway, you won't see a flake on the ground until Dana Place. The Jackson golf course is green as green can be, flags still out. Just above Dana Place, accumulation increases exponentially... by Deadmans Curve the plow wave is over the guardrails.

Plowing the parking lot at WC today was the province of bulldozer and bucket loader, the snowpiles so high you could hardly see into the lot from 16.

From Gorham NH, nothing up top will be a surprise as all of Gorham is white, too. The snowline on Rt 2 becomes apparant at the Shelburne/Gorham town line. Berlin and Randolph were clocking 14-16+ inches.

Driving the notch today for errands and chores.. I was totally blown away. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it. I'm on the West Bethel/ Gilead/ ME line and we don't have flake one.

Breeze

Yes!!!

Thanks for that update! Working in Jackson, done with the work-week by noon tomorrow, heading up Pinkham Notch with the rock board! Is it real?!!! :) :) :)

Your best bet is to skin up the slopes. If you don't have skins, or if you snowboard, then bring snowshoes. You'll probably see posthole trails all the way up, but I prefer to shoe straight up the middle, under the quad.

Yeeeehahhhhhh!!!! :D :D :D

Last edited:
Wildcat will be opening with lift service Fri-Sun. I'm a little disapointed in the price for limited skiing. $10 tickets would have been a great marketing ploy. I'll be hiking Friday instead.

From Wildcat's Site:
Conditions/Comments:

This is it, folks! With about 4 feet of snow this week, Wildcat is opening Friday through Sunday -- so come on up! It's other worldly with the leaves & fall colors and so much SNOW! Look for the Mid & Lower Lynx trails to open first, then the Polecat Trails for Friday & more Sat. No lift-served beginner terrain available. Tomcat Lift only. Fri - lift open 10am -3:30pm, Sat.& Sun. 9am-3:30pm. Adults & Teens, $30; Jr./Sr. $25.

it's true!!!

Hiked to the top yesterday afternoon, tons of snow!!! Upper Catapult is groomed. Trees are completely loaded, even the glades were skiable. What a first ride of the season!!!

I agree with Quietman, even a $20 ticket would be nice. I'll be hiking today.

Saw a nice pair of moose on the way down Rt 16. What a day in Pinkham Notch!

Wildcat has opened this morning with a 40" base. 6 trails are open, the 6 are either expert or intermediate.. no beginner trails are open.

I hiked up Tecumseh today(Friday) and skied down Waterville's slopes. WILD! 3 feet of snow on the upper ridge, I was post holing with snow shoes. I'll post a trip report.