Skins with Nordic BC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randonee/Alpine Touring Bindings & Boots

Does anybody go for this type of set-up instead of the 3-pin set-up for back country, climbing, etc? I am contemplating what to do in this vast new realm, and picture myself only crashing into trees if I tried to execute a telemark turn, as opposed to that comfortable, clamped down heel in a randonee set-up. The boots of course are heavier/stiffer than the nice leather touring models, but they do have that flexible hinge and the vibram soles must come in handy once in a while.

Experience anyone??

thanks

whitelief said:
Does anybody go for this type of set-up instead of the 3-pin set-up for back country, climbing, etc? I am contemplating what to do in this vast new realm, and picture myself only crashing into trees if I tried to execute a telemark turn, as opposed to that comfortable, clamped down heel in a randonee set-up. The boots of course are heavier/stiffer than the nice leather touring models, but they do have that flexible hinge and the vibram soles must come in handy once in a while.

Experience anyone??
Just want to point out that loose heel gear does not mean that you have to use the telemark turn. Snowplow, step, stem-christie, and full parallel turns can all be performed with loose heels. (In fact, a loose-heel parallel is my safety turn on piste with heavy Tele gear.)

I suspect that you find the locked heel to be comfortable because you are used to it. I have never used a locked heel binding and find the loose heel comfortable because I am used to it.

The bottom line is that people ski both front and back country with both locked and loose heel gear. Each has some advantages and disadvantages depending on the terrain and snow conditions. Take your choice.

Doug

It really depends on the type of skiing you intend to do. If you are going on rolling terrain then AT gear is not really optimal. They can't be waxed very well since they don't have a wax pocket, so you're left with skins on heavy skis/bindings/boots, which gets old quickly.

Pretty much any gear is usable in any terrain. It's a comfort, effort, fun trade off. What kind of skiing do you have planned and how interested are you in turning?

-dave-

What kind of skiing?

Well, I was watching those folks climb up to Avalanche Lake and Mt. Marcy. It looked like Sherpa K was having fun when he skinned up Wildcat. That kind of stuff. It will never be my major focus in life, I'm just thinking it would be nice to be set up to go up and down some hills without learning any new turns.

Last edited:
If you plan on doing much downhilling and are concerned at all about crashing, Voile makes a release kit that mounts on the ski, then you mount either a cable binding or hardwire on the release plate. I've got 3 pin cables on my Rainiers, but might go ahead and get the release kit for them and try some hills on them at some point. You can see all of Voile's bindings on their website-
www.voileusa.com

For my short Yosemite trip, I didn't use the cables at all-just the 3 pin toe mount. My boots are a two buckle Atomic BC 50 boot made of some kind of synthetic material-not a plastic boot. I got them off eBay, but haven't seen them anywhere else in the US. I did see them on a European website.