Skookumchuck Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandana4me

Reaction score
Ok, I am not usually long winded but........

This is my all tme favorite hike (along with Kenduskeag Trail). I decided to do this trail after trying to quit my job (notice, tried, unsuccesful). After a long talk with the owner I was given a promotion and a raise (I should quit more often!). During our discussion, I was asked what I needed (never ask a hiker that question!), I responded with a couple of days off to go hiking!

Woke up at 6:30, a quick shower, finish packing, and breakfast. Time to hit the road, stop in at the local store for a gatorade and bam off to the trail head. Now I know this will make some jealous but, I only had a 10 min. ride to the trailhead (I love living in Littleton!).

Off I went to my favorite trail and what a perfect day! I started out with just a pair of summer pants, winter gaitors,a long sleeve insulated shirt, a light wind jacket, TNF mountain light jacket, for a hat I wore a face mask hat. The day started a little chili only -12 at home.

The trail was hard packed with what appeared to be fairly fresh snowshoe tracks. I thought about putting on my snowshoes but decided not to (I dont think I have even put 200 miles on them this winter, very low but a strange winter also.). As the trail brought me to the river, and the sun starting to rise, the snow was sparkling like diamonds. I had to stop and just admire where I was, and the joy I feel out in the woods.

I stopped for a short rest just listening to river babbling under the ice and snow. I also noticed alot of wild life tracks, mostly rabbits. As I continued on I came to my reading place, it is where I always stop to rest. Last summer I stayed there at least 2 and half hours. This place just gives me peace of mind and solitude that I really needed to focus back on work ( did I say work what an ugly word that is!).

Ok coming to the end here. I was appraching the knoll where you start to see North Lafayette, when I noticed someone had postholed. Strange why would this person take off his/her snowshoes to go off trail? Then looking closely I saw moose prints, ok that makes sense. Shortly up the trail the moose left but not without leaving a calling sign. Phew did that stink and steam was rising so he was their real recent. I stopped to listen but the stench over took me so I continued on.

The approach to treeline was the most diffucult as I was dodging and ducking the spruce branches. It makes for great pictures (spruces covered in snow) but the branches at eye level were a pain. They got me couple of times, most of the hike from here on up was, hood on, eyes straight down.

Anyways long story I will revert back to short and sweet!

I love the Skookumchuck too. I've hardly ever met anyone there outside of the summertime. What a dream: praise and a raise from the boss, and a favorite hike too. This ought to be a very good year!