Sleeper - which approach?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
OK venturing out with the bugs this weekend, looking for an informal poll, Sleeper from the So Tri slide? or from the Whiteface side? Not going to venture the many brook crossings from the Kanc. Mind you I have already gone to all the peaks around there, so this is solely a repeat of some terrain to go to sleeper.
Thanks in advance,
feels great to get back out in the woods
ct sparrow

Don't like the 10 crossings of Downes Brook? :D The water levels should be OK now, and it does provide some relief from the warm temps forecast for the weekend.

i attempted the brooks last year about this time...not my cup of tea! However, did spend time bushwacking some and noticed you can follow the logging road in from the Kanc just west of the parking lot. Follow that up and around the hill for a bit, then at a 90degree to the right, you can almost look down and see the trail as it heads toward i believe it's the fifth crossing. I never wrote it down, so this is from memory. Basically if you dip off the road at this point, take a bearing or use a gps, finding the trail below shouldn't be too hard. I believe I turned around at the third crossing..really didn't want to get soaked so soon in the hike, plus I need to get another pair of really good snow gaiters for my son to use on these crossings...for knee high coverage!

If you're just going for E Sleeper I'd recommend the attempt from the Whiteface side. There's a steep section that drops off Whiteface but other than that first section the trail is relatively easy. Watch your step. The trail is a moose dumping grounds!

I would say if your only objective is the Sleepers to do an out and back via the South Tripyramid Slide..a bit more accessible than driving all the way to Ferncroft (unless you live in that area).

If Ferncroft or driving is not an issue for you, another option for a change of scenery would be to approach the area from the McCrillis Trail (USFS) -- NOT McCrillis Path (WODC) from Ferncroft -- which reaches the jct of the Blueberry Ledge Tr/Rollins Tr just north of the Blueberry Ledges -- I haven't done it yet, but I understand it to be a nice trail -- which may require a bit of care to follow.

If you have a car spot, a McCrillis-Sleepers -South Slide Traverse would make for a nice day.

Happy Trails:)