Sleeping Pad For Backpacking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for a sleeping pad for overnight backpacking in the summer/shoulder seasons. I have an older REI inflatable pad that I like quite a bit but it doesn't fold down particularly well and has a large footprint even fully deflated. Think it would be too much of a pain in the ass to have dangling from backpack. Is there such a thing as an inflatable pad that stuffs into a stuff sack or is that impossible to do without bursting seams?

Any recommendations for a compact, durable and inflatable design would be appreciated. I've used solid designs but am far more comfortable on inflatable models.

Exped UL 7

Looking for recommendations for a sleeping pad for overnight backpacking in the summer/shoulder seasons. I have an older REI inflatable pad that I like quite a bit but it doesn't fold down particularly well and has a large footprint even fully deflated. Think it would be too much of a pain in the ass to have dangling from backpack. Is there such a thing as an inflatable pad that stuffs into a stuff sack or is that impossible to do without bursting seams?

Any recommendations for a compact, durable and inflatable design would be appreciated. I've used solid designs but am far more comfortable on inflatable models.

Exped UL-7. Expensive, and worth it.

I am a big fan of thermo rest neo air, a little pricy, but rolls to size of a water bottle, light to carry, comfy, long version available as well.

Large Xtherm, and it rocks! Works well in my hammock (WB XLC double-layer) and on the ground. It's a beast - 25" X 77" X 2 1/2" and warm even on snow - but weighs only about a pound and stuffs to,about the size of a liter bottle. They're expensive, but I got 20% off at REI and paid for the rest with my dividend, so it was free!

Yikes! These are pretty expensive. Are the shells/covers tough? The fact that they all mention coming with patch kits makes me a little uneasy. This is for summer/shoulder seasons not year round use.

I have a standard size Thermarest pad that I carry inside my pack. After rolling it up, I unroll it and fold in half, then in thirds and place in my pack flat against the internal frame. It's a 62 liter pack and still has room for the rest of my gear for a weekend trip.

Large Xtherm, and it rocks! Works well in my hammock (WB XLC double-layer) and on the ground. It's a beast - 25" X 77" X 2 1/2" and warm even on snow - but weighs only about a pound and stuffs to,about the size of a liter bottle. They're expensive, but I got 20% off at REI and paid for the rest with my dividend, so it was free!

+1 on the XTherm. Worth every penny. Hermits Hut is the place to by them.

Fast, cheap, correct? Pick 2!

Yikes! These are pretty expensive. Are the shells/covers tough? The fact that they all mention coming with patch kits makes me a little uneasy. This is for summer/shoulder seasons not year round use.

The Exped and NeoAirs are very light, very comfortable mattresses with good insulation that compress to a very small size. They aren't as 'tough' as something that is heavier and bigger. That's the tradeoff. But I think my Exped is tough enough.

FWIW I like the tube orientation and the fact that the outer tubes are slightly larger, keeping me on the mattress, of the Exped over the NeoAirs. Also the NeoAirs used to be pretty noisy; maybe they fixed that?

Exped UL-7. Expensive, and worth it.

How do these work with quilts?

I'm currently using a very bulky and heavy, old thermarest. I've tried the NeoAir at an EMS store and I felt like I was laying on a bag of potato chips. I wouldn't want to lay on it without something under me like I do with my old one. Also it feels as though you aren't going to stay on it. I also hate bags... never going back... so I'm looking for something that is quilt friendly.

This mat has me intrigued...

I love my Big Agnes Q core. I find it about as comfortable as my bed. I have the wide version because Lauky is always wanting to crawl in :) and it's wide enough for the both of us. The regular narrow version would be a bit faster to inflate, but mine only takes two minutes at 3000'. When I was a teen I remember just putting my bag on the ground, but now I'm a whole lot more comfort driven.

I love my Big Agnes Q core. I find it about as comfortable as my bed. I have the wide version because Lauky is always wanting to crawl in :) and it's wide enough for the both of us. The regular narrow version would be a bit faster to inflate, but mine only takes two minutes at 3000'. When I was a teen I remember just putting my bag on the ground, but now I'm a whole lot more comfort driven.

+1 for Q Core . It is light (long version is 14.1oz I believe) and comfy, plus it insulates really well. Folds up mich smaller than my green foam too. Takes about as long to inflate as it does to reverse the curl on my foam.

I was going to ask about these. Came up in search for the Thermarest. They are significantly cheaper.

I used to just sleep on the ground too. My back would frown upon that nowadays. :)

I use an inflatable Therm-a-Rest pad, but instead of folding it down to store it, I deflate it and roll it into a tube. I place the tube into my empty pack and then unroll the tube so it creates a cylinder. I then pack all my gear into the cylinder. This keeps the pack stable, and the cylinder of sleeping pad acts as a liner to the pack.

I have a bunch of them

Therm-a-rest Prolite
BA insulated aircore
Therm-a-rest Z-rest
Therm-a-rest Neoair All Season

The Neoair All Season is much much quieter than the standard Neoair models & is easily the best insulator of my set. I use the Neoair All Season, from early September to late May.

The z-rest is all I want, or need, in the summer. Makes for one less camp chore.

I had had two leaks with the BA model and it is strictly a last resort loaner at this point.

Last edited:
I use the Q-core as well, I like the weaved tubes as I find the long tubes of the others uncomfortable.

I have a friend who likes to roll his thermarest into a big tube and line his pack with it. Works for him, but when I tried it it stiffened my pack too much and I found it horribly uncomfortable. That said, mine (an old "military ultralight long", from when they were still using solid sheets of foam inside) folds in half lengthwise and then rolls into a 6" diameter roll, which is not too bad.

Saw the new neoairs at EMS recently, though, and I think I need one. Slippery, yes, but I use a bivy sack and you put the pad inside the pack, so it stays put under you.

I'm shopping for a new pad too. Kittery Trading Post to fondle, Camp-mor to buy. I think I'll get a Big Agnes, even though they're not self inflating.

I'm shopping for a new pad too. Kittery Trading Post to fondle, Camp-mor to buy. I think I'll get a Big Agnes, even though they're not self inflating.

It might be an illusion, but the q core seems to take less air to fill, or maybe the inlet is just bigger. I wonder how much moisture gets trapped inside over its lifetime? :)