snow amounts ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
wondered if we could get a thread going about how much snow is where in the mountains, a general guide for everyone, by elevation or region or whatever would help? not used to this in october...laffs

Sorry this ain't the northeast, but I just left 8" at 3000' elevation behind in WVA at Blackwater Falls, with snow levels generally down to 1500' elev. Started snowing Monday around noon, continued into Tuesday. Tried to get to trailheads leading to higher elevations on Dolly Sods, but a serious accident had blocked the roads. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a foot at 4000'. Can't beat skiing in October! Snow showers forecast for higher elevations through the rest of the week.

thats cool..dont think ive ever been to west virginia. must be gorgeous. do strangers still have to be careful in the rural areas or is it all user friendly now. my buddy at work lived down there, keeps telling me never to go out the back roads..lol

Good lord, I'm all for snow on the trails instead of ice, but it's just a bit early for this kind of cold and winter conditions, isn't it?!!!! Guess I just need to suck it up and get out in it ... this is New England after all.

" thats cool..dont think ive ever been to west virginia. must be gorgeous. do strangers still have to be careful in the rural areas or is it all user friendly now. my buddy at work lived down there, keeps telling me never to go out the back roads..lol"

The only ones you have to watch out for are the people driving around looking for hillbillies.

hikerfast said:
...my buddy at work lived down there, keeps telling me never to go out the back roads..lol

Thats just a rumor to keep the riff-raff away!

Its still snowing

Well over a foot here in Randolph and still snowing. I would guess trails start at a foot and continue to gain with altitude upwards of 3 feet. Very wet conditions under the snow at lower elevations

Snow line in SW NH this morning is about 1,300' on S. Pack and Monadnock. There is about 2-3" at 1,500'. And now I'm sitting in my office :( :mad: :( :mad:

Six inches of wet, slushy stuff at my house in East Middlebury, VT, although nothing 6 miles away in the village of Middlebury. I had to break out the saw to remove a downed tree across my driveway to get to work this morning. Rumor has it that there's about a foot at the Middlebury College Snow Bowl, which also coincides with where the Long Trail crosses Middlebury Gap at about 2200 ft. elevation. I suspect that trails through wooded areas with lots of leaves left on the trees will be difficult to pass due to fallen limbs.

Catskills, Rt 23 ,12" at Prattsville, 8" hunter-Windham .Rt. 28 Bare from highmount to kingston. These are in town observations and reports. Many trees are down because they still had there leaves.

My next door neighbor in Bethlehem says they have a foot of snow and the power is out. I may have to hook work on Friday :D

Last edited: