snow (chain of ponds) 3-16-13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombadil

Reaction score
3-16-13
After a nice wakeup from Border Patrol at 5:45 am Tom and I broke down camp and did the 8+ mile sled pull back to the car so we could run up to Snow Mtn. Snowshowers hit the area overnight and the road wasn't plowed out but had been driven. Thankfully we were able to park right at mile marker 3 on the shoulder of the road. We then walked to the traihead on the heavily trafficked road. The atv/snowmobile trail was well traveled to the start of the the Snow Mtn. Trail. We then broke trail through 5" of powder on top of the crunchy rain crust. We briefly followed a branch of the snowmobile route where the trail makes a sharp turn off the trail around 3100 ft. Surprisingly someone had ventured up to the small cliffs on a snowmobile that day so we didn't have to break that out. Not surprisingly they turned around there and we broke trail the rest of the way. The last 1/3 of a mile was a nonstop pushthrough snow-laden trees leaning over the trail but it was such a treat to have a trail to follow after our last bushwhacks. Tom and I both finished our winter NEHH lists on the summit. Thanks Tom it was great having company on some of these more remote peaks, it was fun! Long day with the early start, long sled pull, 10 mile hike, then a nearly 5h drive back to western NH so I could do Moosilauke to wrap up all 100 of the NEHH this winter season with 35 of those coming in the last week and a half. It's been a blast!
Pat
pcushing21 at yahoo dot com