Snow in Jackson?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Hiking Black Mtn this weekend past the cabin to the summit.
Is there snow cover up that way to make skiing down possible?
Thanks a lot, Spence

You mean to ski down the ski area slopes, which are a ways south from the true summit? Black closed for the season quite a while ago. Would be surprised if the conditions are decent enough at this point but haven't driven past recently. There is no snow at lower elevations and what exists is ice or otherwise rotten. If you mean to ski down the ski trail to the cabin on the west side, same problem - things have gotten icy and rotten on most unmaintained trails from what I have seen from hiking on the sub-2,500 ft. peaks. You might ask the folks at the Jackson ski touring center or the J-Town Deli and see if they have intel. Maybe the snow on the actual slopes has held up.

Last edited:
You mean to ski down the ski area slopes, which are a ways south from the true summit? Black closed for the season quite a while ago. Would be surprised if the conditions are decent enough at this point but haven't driven past recently. There is no snow at lower elevations and what exists is ice or otherwise rotten. If you mean to ski down the ski trail to the cabin on the west side, same problem - things have gotten icy and rotten on most unmaintained trails from what I have seen from hiking on the sub-2,500 ft. peaks. You might ask the folks at the Jackson ski touring center or the J-Town Deli and see if they have intel. Maybe the snow on the actual slopes has held up.

Thanks for the info.
Looks like skiing down from the Black Mtn Cabin on the west side isn’t an option.

Was on Cranmore upper slopes today walking around and it was just hard-baked ice -- if you fell, you weren't stopping. The woods have pockets of granular snow and the hiking/biking trails have stretches of ice from being hard-packed. I can't imagine the conditions are feasible.

Was on Cranmore upper slopes today walking around and it was just hard-baked ice -- if you fell, you weren't stopping. The woods have pockets of granular snow and the hiking/biking trails have stretches of ice from being hard-packed. I can't imagine the conditions are feasible.

....and now it is raining