Snow Is Here

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo, don't put those snowshoes and skis away just yet. Today, I brought my X-C skis to work today in preperation for perhaps tomorrow's lunchtime when I can hit the golf course next door for some march skiing. So far, the snow is not really sticking to the roads here in NJ, but there is a nice coating on the grass and it still is coming down pretty good. I hope it doesn't turn to rain.

Jay

Jay H said:
Woohoo, don't put those snowshoes and skis away just yet. Today, I brought my X-C skis to work today in preperation for perhaps tomorrow's lunchtime when I can hit the golf course next door for some march skiing. So far, the snow is not really sticking to the roads here in NJ, but there is a nice coating on the grass and it still is coming down pretty good. I hope it doesn't turn to rain.

Jay

I guess my commune with the snow gods in Woodford, VT last Friday paid off! I also threw my skis into the truck today, retreiving them from end of the season storage. It'll probably be a day of skiing tomorrow at Windblown XC in New Ipswich, NH, 10 minutes from work when I get out, if I end up going in and not calling in sick.

mmmmmmmmm, faceplants........

First tracks

I plan on first tracks at Windham. Tomorrow is a vacation day.

Upstate already has 6 inches on the ground as of 1800

Bring on the Black Flies!

Not to errrr...rain (as opposed to "snow") on your parade or anything, but I am done with winter. In fact, I am leaving tomorrow morning to go hang in Belize for a week!

Really, postholing all the way to Owl's Head yesterday (just a short hike) made me want to give it up and buy a TV and a couch. This is my least favorite time of year for hiking. I was sure the snow was hard enough for barebooting yesterday, but I was wrong. I was beat after two miles and lugging snowshoes and crampons on such a short hike is a bummer. When the snow is more solid and reliable, I am all for it, but when you get this sloshy stuff...naaaaa.

I must say, the sled ride down Owl's Head was a blast!

Bring on the spring. I am ready.

Last edited:
Powder Day

OK, now I am in agreement, I had my one worthwhile powder day that I could make out of the office.

So on with the vernal equinox.

I had a great day of powder XC skiing Here in extreme Northwest NJ we got 6 inches yesterday, even on the roads and then another inch today and still snowing lightly as I write this. Maybe I will take off from work tomorrow and head for the Catskills or stay local. Have to take advantage of these last few storms. If it was up to me I would have snow year round. The only thing I get to look forward too when the weather warms up is those dam bugs and humidity. No thanks. :(

snowshoe said:
I had a great day of powder XC skiing Here in extreme Northwest NJ we got 6 inches yesterday, even on the roads and then another inch today and still snowing lightly as I write this. Maybe I will take off from work tomorrow and head for the Catskills or stay local. Have to take advantage of these last few storms. If it was up to me I would have snow year round. The only thing I get to look forward too when the weather warms up is those dam bugs and humidity. No thanks. :(

I did a few hours at Windblown XC today after work. Surprisingly few people were out enjoying the 6+ inches of fresh powder. They hadn't had a chance to do much more than roll a few trails, so I was breaking trail in one direction, going a few km, turning around and enjoying the perfect glide in the other direction.