Snowshoeing this weekend..but where?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama Jack

Reaction score
I would appreciate any thoughts on a good place to get out & try my new snowshoes. However, I am concerned based on trail condtion reports that there just isnt enough snow!

I was hoping to keep my costs low and stay at a friends in Dover, NH but I fear that I am still 2 hours south of any desirable conditions.

In the absence of that we will be staying in North Woodstock (for money :mad: ).

So any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated.

PJ

Little snow even up North

Panama Jack: Check out this useful link from the NWS Burlington website (updated daily): http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg
It paints a picture of woe this week so far: not much even up North. I was all over the place in the mountains this past weekend and saw lots of brown. Save your money (and your snowshoe cleats). Better yet, spend more money and fly out West. They have enough to drown us all in house-deep spruce (or fir)traps.
Keep thinkin' snow... maybe later this week?? Check the above link on Friday.

Weatherman

That's what it looked like

I just traversed from Northern NY to Boston on Monday, and that weather link sure looks accurate. Nothing but grey all around. there is probably more snow in your front yard over there in Natick than there is on most mtn approaches in the Whites.

The AMC publishes daily Backcountry Weather and Trail Conditions reports, including snow depth and snow/ice conditions, for a few locations scattered among the White Mtns.

The Randolph Mountain Club publishes weekly reports (Thursdays) for Gray Knob conditions in the Northern Presidential Range, including snow depth. Although the info isn't very timely, you can get a picture of what has happened over the last several weeks, which is of some help.

I spent last week in the Whites, 12/25-27 at Bretton Woods and 12/28-31 in Easton. There was next to no snow in Easton/Franconia, but some snow in the Pemi as well as Kanc. It seems the last "significant" snow was the light fluffy 2-4" (valley) that came 12/26-27 and it came from the east. I think if you read Stinky & Frodo's traverse (on this site) you will get a feel for what is up in there. :D

I spent last week in Carter Notch and there was about 2 feet of drifts up on the ridge. Wildcat ridge also had some pretty good snow. Good luck

XC Skiing this weekend (I hope)

I will be in Boston this weekend, and hope to go up into NH one day to ski. Can you make suggestions of a good place after this storm delivers whatever it gives us? Hopefully several inches. Keep your fingers crossed

Great Glen Trails

Great Glen Trails is one of the few areas I know that makes snow for x-c trails. Even they are hurting right now, as this report shows. (I'd take the 15" with a grain of salt, as I always treat these reports somewhat skeptically.) If you want backcountry skiing, right now I'd say to concentrate on the Kanc. All this could change if we get snow in NH today. 3-6" still predicted for the western Whites but it hasn't started yet. May be followed by ice, of course.I'll post later today or tomorrow a.m. if it materializes.

Catamount Trail snowshoe conditions

Have been on the Catamount Trail several times so far. NOT good enough conditions for snowshoes. I've been hiking with crampons because of the 2" base of ice. It's not bad, but it's not as much fun as snowshoes.

I think you should plan on a nice trip for Sunday. We just received about 4" of fresh snow, and it's quite dry powder. More is on the way tonight, so Sunday should be really nice. Personally, I prefer it just like this, about a half-foot of dry powder over hardpack and crust. It doesn't get any better for tracking critters off-trail. I'm about to head up the Kancamagus right now!

A few suggestions: Greeley Ponds or Lincoln Woods (easy/flat, pretty forest)
Mt Potash or Mt Hedgehog (moderate/ nice ledges)
Mt Osceola or the Handcocks (challenging/ nice views)

Happy trails!

Pat T said:
If you like groomed trails, I'd try Windblown in southern New Hampshire.

Their website is good and they give an honest assessment of the conditions. www.windblownxc.com

Pat T
Thanks for this suggestion. My wife and I went up this afternoon and had a good time. Lots of snow so we snowshoed part of the wapack trail. By the way, Their website snow conditions are dead on accurate.