So. Baldface, Garbage, Zen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I went up So. Baldface in the Evans Notch today; both 113 and the trail are CCC projects from c. 1936. It was a gorgeous day with no stagnant air, possibly the only one this week free of T-storms. The sometimes "unreliable" Last Chance Spring at the shelter just below the beginning of the ledges was gushing; the bugs weren't bad at all. Anybody who hasn't made it over into the Evans Notch on the NH/ME border to hike the Baldface Circle has a real treat in store.

I've done the Circle (loop) before, but today was straight up and back on the So. Baldface Trail. On the way up, I was appalled to find the largest bag of trash--a kitchen-sized white bag full--I've ever seen on a WMNF trail in 30+ years of hiking here. It was sitting in the middle of the trail about .25 mile below the shelter. Empty tin cans reeking with meat grease and other junk. Clearly, I'd have to haul it out, but I decided to pick it up on the way down rather than drag it all the way up and back down again.

As I descended, I was further amazed to pass about four hiking parties heading up this trail who had to have walked around the trash. Somebody else's problem, I guess they figured, or maybe, like me, they planned on getting it on the way down, although I doubt it. Few people retrace their steps on this trail.

In any event, I arrived back at the trash site and had no bag in my pack big enough to put this greasy mess in. I'd swapped out the garbage bag I usually carry for a real pack cover this morning. I emptied out my emergency clothing from three smaller zip-locks, crushed all the cans, and managed to get it all in the smaller bags.

I concentrated on zen-like thoughts for the remainder of the hike, forgot the garbage episode, and was reminded how those awful "slash and run" logging practices of the turn of the 20th c. created beautiful mountain views from the Baldfaces.

A very few pics here.

Dittoes! Good trail karma on you! :) :) :)

Glad you had a nice hike on the Baldfaces, a favorite hike of mine.

Happy Trails!

If the thunderstorms don't come true I hope to hike there this weekend. Thanks for cleaning up :D

thanks

Hey
Thanks for picking up the trash. A lot of people wouldn't have done that.

I carried about a 10 lb bag of cr*p about 2 miles on my descent of mt adams on Tuesday (saw it was there on monday's ascent). I wanted to open it up and try to find an address or something so I could send it to the people who left it, but alas it ended its journey at a lowes store garbage canister instead.

so, as per the other responses, muchos gracias for picking up the trash. it gives us all a nicer experience in the woods, and I believe you get at least one life-karma bonus (maybe more :)).