So, Is "the Split" Working?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the new forum. As a resident New Yorker, it was hard to find current info that related to my area. The ADKs and the Catskills mean a lot to us that have walked through so much of them.

Kinda a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I generally head straight in here which causes me to miss other threads that might be of interest. In the old format, being "forced" to sift caused me to go into a higher % of threads than I do now.

Then again, I definitely can say I have frequented the site more than I did just before it split happen, so it's get me more engaged. (which is a good thing for me, perhaps not so much for others :( ).

Overall, I'd say, its good and bad, with a tilt towards good.

Pete_Hickey said:
You know, Mavs... You and I never did tilt in the same direction.

Hmmmm, I'm left to wonder if that is a good thing, or bad thing............. :confused:

Perhaps it just is. ;)

Based on the discussions I've had in email, PMs, on the phone, and in person, the NY section is a success.
It continues to bring back 'lapsed' members, many of whom are back posting and reading.
I knew the suggestion to try this would not suit everone, but was guided by the adage that 'perfect is the enemy of the good'. So far, its served the purpose intended and I'm really pleased with the feedback so far. :)

I like it ......... a lot .......... for many reasons.
But the best thing I like about it is the return of many posters who were more active in the late 90's and pre-crash (2003). Remember Lexicomm days?

If I look at the content of the last 20 threads in the New York section I have to confess that I don't perceive the "split" as having had much impact as far as getting information and discussion onto the board that is more interesting and more informative compared to BS (BS = Before Split).

I use the new posts feature and have it as a shortcut hyperlink one click away so it doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other.

Nevertheless, if the consensus of the majority is that the split has improved the forum in any way then that is a good thing. Long live the split!

I Hate It

I hate it. I feel like it's split up the forum. Perhaps not every member only posts in either NY or NE sections, and it seems to have bolstered the number of posts from NY people (a plus) but at the same time it feels like two separate forums. VFTT always seemed pretty coherent to me with it's 4 key sections: Q&A, General Back Country, Trip & Events and Trip Reports. Now with all the new sections it seems like less a community and more a series of cafes where people go and don't mingle with other cafes. My NY friends now seem even more removed from my NE friends. I wish the split would go away.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
I hate it. I wish the split would go away.
-Dr. Wu
The split is here to stay.. for ever and ever and ever. So....

GET USED TO IT!

Doctor Wu:

Your NY friends were even more removed a few months ago. Many of them seldomly visited VFTT. We're welcoming more and more back every month.

dr_wu002 said:
I hate it. I feel like it's split up the forum. Perhaps not every member only posts in either NY or NE sections, and it seems to have bolstered the number of posts from NY people (a plus) but at the same time it feels like two separate forums. VFTT always seemed pretty coherent to me with it's 4 key sections: Q&A, General Back Country, Trip & Events and Trip Reports. Now with all the new sections it seems like less a community and more a series of cafes where people go and don't mingle with other cafes. My NY friends now seem even more removed from my NE friends. I wish the split would go away.

-Dr. Wu

Look Wu, lets not make a scene about this. I told you, we just needed some time apart so I "could sort it all out in my head". Your embarassing me. :cool: :D

Peakbagr said:
Doctor Wu:

Your NY friends were even more removed a few months ago. Many of them seldomly visited VFTT. We're welcoming more and more back every month.
But it feels like two different sites now. I'd say there's less crossover now between the NY people and the NE people. Sure, more NY people are back and posting, but there's less crosstalk between the NY and NE people than ever.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
But it feels like two different sites now. I'd say there's less crossover now between the NY people and the NE people. Sure, more NY people are back and posting, but there's less crosstalk between the NY and NE people than ever.

-Dr. Wu

Honestly IMO I thought that before the split it was segregated. It was always about the NE hikers and the NY stuff got buried. At least now I dont have to go and hunt through the Q%A section for the NY stuff. Its still hard enough now trying to find a NY trip report mingled in all the NE stuff :eek: I hiked the Santononis a few weeks ago and posted a report and noone even responded to it. Maybe it was boring, I dont know, or it just got buried :D

I think the split is great. I don't post that often but I check in far more than I had been before. NY Q&A and General Backcountry are the forums I check on regularly.