Soggy trip up Katahdin, Hamlin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadie

Reaction score
This was a second now annual summer midweek trip to BSP with my brother. Last year, we got up to Pamola peak but no further due to thunderstorm threat. This year, we arrived at Roaring brook and set up camp in the rain on Wed Aug 3. It is hard for me to get away from the family for too long, so we only had Thursday to hike. Initial plan for this year was another try to Knife’s edge/ Baxter, but weather again this year wasn’t looking that way. Our new plan was if it was a Class II day as Wednesday was, we’d make an attempt on Hamlin instead.

Thursday, we got a late start, 10 AM due to still rainy weather (class II day) and other circumstances. We passed dozens of people on Chimney Pond trail returning soaking wet from Chimney pond after many had decided to scrap their own plans to head up Baxter that day. The rain was tapering, so we moved on. Once we got off Chimney Pond and onto North Basin, we only saw 5 people for the rest of the day until we got back to Roaring brook campground. Trail conditions were wet and lots of puddles and mud. I wish I had gators that day… my boots got squishy wet from all the wet brush brushing up against my socks and seeping into the boots. Plastic bags in the boots helped that a bit at least!

The rain had stopped by the time we got to Hamlin Ridge and just before tree line (~2 ¾ h to get to this point), we paused to get some dry clothes on and get fully rain geared up for being above tree line. Trail is somewhat steep rock hopping, but good footing and not too bad. We couldn’t see much other than the trail with it being so cloudy. It was a little windy, but the Hamlin ridge trail seemed to be on the side away from the wind, so we only got the wind in certain areas.

It was hard to figure out where the peak was, every time we thought we were at the top, we’d catch a glimpse of a higher point tucked behind the clouds. Then it flattened out considerably and seemed to be the top and we still had no idea where the peak was until we found the sign (~3 ¾ h to get to this point from Roaring brook). The tablelands area was really quite remarkable even with limited views... it was such a large flat area for a peak!!

We caught up with NW basin and then Saddle trail and headed towards Chimney pond. I was nervous about Saddle Trail as the guidebook describes it as a rockslide and I personally find some of the trail descriptions in the Maine AMC guide are understated for difficulty, so I pictured something worse than Owlshead or Tripyramid and was nervous with it being wet, but it really wasn’t that bad and the rockslide part was very short so no need to worry! The whole upper part of the trail was very steep and much of it was flowing like a river, but manageable. We had a unknown wildlife siting here… something that looked like a weasel.

We paused for a very late lunch at Chimney pond (~5 3/4 h into the hike from RB), with not another soul there! We could see waterfalls falling from the side of the mountains and it was quite beautiful even with the limited views! Then it started to rain again, so we moved on.

We got back to Roaring brook at 5:30, total hike took us a soggy 7.5 h for the ~10 mi loop.

It was a great hike, though I’m disappointed with no views but was thrilled to get another chance to hike at Baxter State Park and look forward to returning again!! Aside from the hike, a highlight of the trip was spotting a mom and 2 baby moose eating in Sandy Pond just before we left the next morning. Great trip! #59/67 for me.

Probably no consolation to know you only missed the beautiful weather by a day, but I'm glad you enjoyed and made the most of it!

On my first trip to Katahdin, for the first two days we waited for the ranger to open the trails and climbed up to Pamola from Chimney Pond and retreated in the rain. On the third day, the ranger gave us permission to leave before he opened the trail and we ended up doing the Knife Edge in the rain.

Some times you just gotta do what you can with whatever the conditions might be. Glad you were able to make use of the less than ideal conditions.

The mountains can be enjoyable in a variety of moods...

Doug

We considered sticking around Friday with improving weather reports and doing the hike from Abol or something that still had available parking, but that would have meant more rock slides and getting home well after midnight and with family commitments on Saturday I would have been hating life doing that! The rainy day hiking worked out just fine after all! I'm glad I did get the views last year on Pamola anyways!