Solar rechargeable headlamp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For $50, that sounds really expensive unless you are on some kind of decade long adventure where you can't get AA batteries (Stuck on a raft in the pacific ocean???? ;)). I don't see the need for a solar headlamp when I assume the LEDs there are the basic LEDs, not those super 3W/1W LEDs you can find on most BD or Petzl headlamps for the same price. It's certainly doesn't look powerful enough for my bike commute and although I hike mostly using the basic LEDs on my BD Zenix, the 1W LED in the center is great for bigger mountains and nighttime navigation. The same could be said for the PT Apex, the BD Icon, etc. etc.

Maybe this is just me?

Jay

I'd just prefer to do away with batteries. I have found that regular batteries do much better than rechargeables, but I hate throwing them away. Solar charging is intriguing- plus you can use it to charge other stuff.

A descent headlamp costs $30 anyway, so another twenty to never buy batteries again sounds like a good compromise.

But if it's bright enough to charge the batteries you don't need the headlamp.

:cool:

I think this is a solution in search of a problem. My headlamp runs 70 hours on 3 rechargeable AAA batteries. Rarely would I ever need to recharge in the field, and I can just bring an extra set of batteries rather then have to set up my recharger somewhere it needs to sit for 7 hours.

sleeping bear said:
I'd just prefer to do away with batteries. I have found that regular batteries do much better than rechargeables, but I hate throwing them away. Solar charging is intriguing- plus you can use it to charge other stuff.

A descent headlamp costs $30 anyway, so another twenty to never buy batteries again sounds like a good compromise.

I use rechargable NiMH batteries in my headlamps for hiking/biking, except sometimes in winter where I'll use lithiums, haven't had a problem and for most of the time, they NiMHs are fine for me. I hate throwing away batteries too, but solar panels don't last forever either.

Jay

Same here. I use NiMH. They work good. I keep 2 spare sets of them because I use several things that use AA's.

Works great for me.

Keith

Might make sense if you are making an extended trip in areas with lots of sun and no hope of resupply, such as walking across the Sahara Desert. Otherwise, I suspect that batteries are more practical. I often use NiMH rechargables as primaries and lithiums as backups on up to several day trips.

Recharging will be best in the bright sun and may be impractical while moving. Solar rechargables would be most practical in situations such as basecamping in the Arizona Deserts in the summer.

Doug

A general comment, is that solar cells have a 25 year or more life as long as they arent abused or had a munufacturing defect.