Solo hiking above treeline in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
winter risk reducers-solo or otherwise

here are a few winter risk reducers, solo or otherwise:

1. Only go in winter where you have been in summer, fall or spring. You have at least an idea of how much father to go, how long it will take, etc.
2. Out and back trips are safer than loops, traverses, etc. That way you don't have an entire trip of trailbreaking. All of the above about knowing where you are, where you are going, etc. is relevant here as well.
3. Strict "turn around" time. Once again why the out and back option is a good one. No guess work on if turning around or keeping on going is the best choice should you encounter some difficulty.
4. The obvious: "leave your plan with someone". I have also seen the leave a plan on the windshield, with a "call for help if not back by __" Hour or so past planned ending time is good.
5. Even if you don't plan to be gone all day, plan the rest of your life as if you will be gone all day. In other words, don't make 5:00 dinner reservations, or get tickets to some event. Deadlines cause people to rush and further the risk. Plus you don't want people to expect you for whatever event it happens to be. Although maybe that is a good tipping off thing to do.
6. Pay close attention to the weather. There is a difference between winter and "ridiculous" conditions.

These are my rules for winter, which is often solo (as much of my hiking is). Had an argument last year when staying with relatives in VT, they told me that I "shouldn't hike alone" so then I invited them to come along, they declined so I went alone. As soon as they declined, they shut up. I think it showed them how much I like to hike.

This was a beautiful clear, low wind, packed powder day, on Mt. Abraham (five mile trip). Had I opted out and done tourist stuff with them all day, I'd be kicking myself over the choice. It all about risk/reward.

One sidenote, when making these choices to people, and convincing them you will be fine: Do not leave your copy of Between a Rock and a Hard Place on the table, not gonna help your cause!

Let the solo hiking above treeline in winter begin!!!!

Let the solo hiking above treeline in winter begin for 07-08!!!!

I Winter solo regularly when partners are not available. When hiking solo, I am very particular about what I hike, when I hike, where I hike & how I hike. I hike only trails that I have done recently. I tend to stay away from loop hikes. The weather has to be right. I will turn around any time factors are increasing my feelings of risk (I have turned around 15 min from a summit on several occasions). My pack always contains extra gear to get me through tough situations. When solo I am much more cautious of my footing, my energy level and I am much more focused on my rout & location.

I leave a trip plan with my wife & call her as soon as I start for home.

Wow! I didn't get to read this whole thread until today because I was out winter-solo-night-hiking-above-treeline-in-a-whiteout last night.

Everyone has to recognize their own limitations and willingness to take on risk. I always carry enough gear to bivy in winter if necessary. It doesn't weigh that much to have some peace of mind. A wise man once told me that the most important thing you take on a hike is your brain. I think that's pretty much true!

wardsgirl said:
Wow! I didn't get to read this whole thread until today because I was out winter-solo-night-hiking-above-treeline-in-a-whiteout last night.

Everyone has to recognize their own limitations and willingness to take on risk. I always carry enough gear to bivy in winter if necessary. It doesn't weigh that much to have some peace of mind. A wise man once told me that the most important thing you take on a hike is your brain. I think that's pretty much true!

As long as you had your dog to guide you and your cell phone to call in case of trouble...
;)

To update my winter solo list from the 11 2006 post, last winter I did do Washington & Carter Dome solo. The weather was kind of iffy on Carter Dome windy, 4-6 inches new powder with drifts up high but low on exposure. (skipped Hight)

Washington was a picture perfect day. Little wind, some gust at very top in low 20's but that was just on the cone above the Westside & Davis Path junctions with the Crawford Path (up & down Ammo) After several years of saying not today because the weather was bad, I had a great day but people who were supposed to go with me bailed.

Next solo winter hike likely on Monday 12/31, destination, unconfirmed yet but below treeline.

Stay within your ability, plan for the unknown, be prepared for the unexpected. Their is no penalty for retreating early, there is for retreating too late though.

"A man (or woman) has got to know his limitations" H. Callahan...