Solo Unsupported January Denali Attempt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First stop, West Rib Bar and Grill to get a Seward's Folly Burger and as many Ice Axe Ales as he can have ... then to the Roadhouse first thing in the morning for breakfast!

Good work Lonnie. Fantastic attempt.

That burger looks sick. But then again, I prefer to 'eat' my food and not wear it!

:eek:

First stop, West Rib Bar and Grill to get a Seward's Folly Burger and as many Ice Axe Ales as he can have ... then to the Roadhouse first thing in the morning for breakfast!

Good work Lonnie. Fantastic attempt.
I love the West Rib Pub, best burgers ever.
Even though he didn't summit he still made a valiant attempt with some wicked weather, during the past week could see the snow blowing off Denali from here in Fairbanks (155 miles away).

It was stated when he reached 14K camp that he was able to avoid all crevasses.

He's finally off the mountain. Sounds like he ended up punching through a few snow bridges but managed to get out of them safely!

Well, Lonnie is going to give er another go, this winter, with a new strategy.

After reading the blog, a few questions came to my mind.

1. What is he bringing for food that doesn't require cooking?
2. Is the NPS requiring him to pay the full cost for any rescues due to the dangers involved?
3. Will he pack out all his supplies/refuge or leave them for retrieval next spring/summer?
4. What would Washburn think of this?
5. How will the climbing community view this? Remarkable mountaineering feat or irresponsible stunt designed for making money?

What do you think?

Well, Lonnie is going to give er another go, this winter, with a new strategy.

After reading the blog, a few questions came to my mind.

1. What is he bringing for food that doesn't require cooking?
2. Is the NPS requiring him to pay the full cost for any rescues due to the dangers involved?
3. Will he pack out all his supplies/refuge or leave them for retrieval next spring/summer?
4. What would Washburn think of this?
5. How will the climbing community view this? Remarkable mountaineering feat or irresponsible stunt designed for making money?

What do you think?
I'm not sure what Washburn would think of this, but some of his stuff is still up there too!

Success = remarkable mountaineering feat
Failure due to the reasons you mentioned = irresponsible stunt

:p