South Dix bushwhack July 29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwacker

Reaction score
peak bgr and i will be bushwhacking south dix from the south fork of the bouquet on sunday. anyone interested in joining us? we will be taking the herdpath for the east dix slide, but will continue up the brook instead of climbing east dix. about a mile bushwhack to south dix, then we will go over to east dix. from east dix we will be heading northeast down the ridge over Etown#4 and Spotted, which are very open and rocky. then back down to the trail. probably 10 or 11 miles all together. so if you're interested let us know. probably a pretty early start. details later.

I would LOVE to go but I will be in Colorado!
I have Grace, Hough, Macomb on my radar for mid August, please let me know if you plan to be back in the Dixes later this summer!
:)
Have a great time and take pics!

bushwacking

This may be a slilly question to some so here it goes..never done any bushwacking, what all is involved thruout a day?? Did get off the trail going to couch and i guess thats bushwacking back to a trail...???

Not a bad question at all. The idea is to deliberately avoid trails and as much as possible, find a good way to the summits. Try and located open woods, streams beds, and avoid blowdown and 2nd growth as much as possible.
They are working on doing the entire 46 as bushwhacks. Tough and rarely accomplished objective.

FWIW: A couple of years ago I bushwhacked from the Grace herd path to the Grace-Carson col and back. Someone gave me this excellent advice: As you climb go at least 1/10 of a mile to the right of the slide and it will be very open. I climbed up much closer than that to the slide and found a fair bit of coniferous treetop blowdown. On the descent I followed the advice and sure enough, it was wide open harwoods, just like Picea mariana mentions. I continued for about 20 minutes past the col summit in a southeasterly direction and was as thick as all get out.

I think a 6am start at the bridge is a good time to meet up.

Viewseeker-jump on in, you'll have a good time. Bushwhacking is simply hiking without a trail. We'll take care of the rest, navigation that is. We've been on the Spotted ridge before and it's a real treat. But all the fun is in what you find.