South Moat

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakn

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has been to South Moat from Dugway Rd recently and knows the trail conditions.
Thanks
Harry

South --> North Moat ?

Ditto on the trail conditions inquiry... Planning the traverse on Sunday.

I did North Moat on Saturday, ascending the Moat Tr, descending Red Ridge Tr. There was plenty of snow in sheltered spots, up to 4' deep, judging by the postholes. I got very familiar with the bindings on my snowshoes that day, because the sunny spots were bare.

I haven't been up South Moat in a few months, but have done it in spring a few times, and have been out and about in nearby areas in recent weeks.

It seems the snow line in this region is around 2,000 feet. I'd expect some monorail in the small valleys around each water crossing. The ledges may be wet/slippery. I'd also expect it to be a bit mucky at the foot of the steeps leading up to the ledges. The visible southern facing ledges, all the way up to the summit of South Moat, appear to be snow free from driving nearby.

Moats - South, Middle, North

Thanks for posting trail conditions for North Moat! Will be hiking the Moats this weekend.