Southern Vt question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowshoe

Reaction score
I am thinking about car camping in Southern Vt or the ADK with my wife and 3 year old. All the times I have been to VT I hiked and did things that a 3 year old could not do (at least my 3 year old who wont stay in a pack). My question is what are some things I can do in Southern VT with a 3 year old. Keep in mind, my 3 year old will not stay in a pack. She loves to be on her feet or in moms arms. She does not like long car rides. She is like me ADD. We will do some very short hikes but looking for things like a zoo or kid places. Also some good car camping campgrounds. Perferably state parks or anything in the Green MT NF. I am doing this for a few days in Mid Aug.

Adams Family Farm

From Wilmington Brattleboro is about 30 minutes away East on Rte 9.

This is a new paint your own pottery place I don't know much about it. Just started seeing ads for it.

KidsPlayce in Brattleboro

Woodford State Park Campground is only 10 miles from Bennington and about 40 minutes from Brattleboro.

Molly Stark State park is also on Rte 9 but a little closer to Brattleboro.

I work in Brattleboro, that's the reason I'm giving you info specific to this area.

I don't have my trusty gazetteer with me right now, so these were just ideas off the top of my head. If I think of others, I'll let you know. The Thursday edition of the Brattleboro Reformer arts/entertainment section has a whole page dedicated to stuff for kids and families. It's better to look at it in real life than on line. I can't seem to find it. But this is the entertainment main page

Just a little further north is Jamaica State Park. It's a lovely campground and there is swimming in the west river, a playground, easy walking along an old railroad grade. But I don't know what else is in the Jamaica area for a 3 year old.

Check out the Vermont State Parks. Also, the National Forest has a couple of good campgrounds in Southern Vermont.

Sorrry that I can't offer advice for youngsters. It's been a long time since our children were that age, and no grand children on the horizon.

Santa's Land in Putney.

Totally out of season I know. But there's lots of animails in the petting zoo and plenty of other stuff to keep a little kid occupied and interested.

Note: I haven't been there since a kindergarten class trip (30 years ago :eek: ) but it's still there. I even found a
discount coupon.

For short hikes, there's a trail around Hapgood Pond in Peru, the natural bridge in Emerald Lake State Park, or you could drive up the Mt Ascutney auto road and hike to the summit from there (I've seen kids that young up there before)

Southern Vt encompasses quite an area, and it can sometimes take a while to get from point A to point B, so it will really depend on where you're going to be staying.

If you stretch "southern VT" all the way up to Rte 4, then Gifford Woods state park is a fantastic place to stay, with drive-up lean-tos and easy access to Rtes 4 and 100 for all the activities at Killington, anything that happens to be going on in Rutland (cityish) and Woodstock (quaint). Plus tons of hiking, of course.

I've also heard good things about Emerald Lake state park, which also has campsites and lean-tos, on Rte 7 in Dorset. That gives you a beach and swimming for the little one, tons of hiking, and easy access to Rutland and Manchester shops and activities.

Really, any of the VT state parks is a great place to stay; they're all wonderfully maintained and nice facilities.