Southwest Twin - words of Wisdom solicited.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Face

Reaction score
Hey now,

I'm thinking Southwest Twin bushwhack later this week. I have read the very few posts in here that decribe this, but not a lot of into. Some of done it from the west (Franc Brook) some from the Twinway. My plan was to hit it from the Twinway. Will it be hand-to-hand combat with the conifers/scrub?

Comments?

Suggestions?

THANKS!

Last edited:
I have been mulling that one over myself, and have been thinking of the same route you are proposing. You might talk to Steve Smith of the Mountain Wanderer. Let me know how it goes, I will be out of town until Saturday or I would go with you.

I did it from the west, and though a long day I don't recall it being too bad except for an area of extensive blowdown.

I have been mulling that one over myself, and have been thinking of the same route you are proposing. You might talk to Steve Smith of the Mountain Wanderer. Let me know how it goes, I will be out of town until Saturday or I would go with you.

Will do. My plan is to take it from the Twinway and battle those high-altitude conifers. I'll be using a map/compass only, not GPS (don't own one).

I went in from the Twinway because I was climbing Twins anyway, I had always expected to use the S route. I averaged .5 mph on the bushwhack or maybe half my usual bushwhack speed. Now I know one place where Dr.Dr.P didn't leave a register yet :)

I have tried it from the Twinway a few times. All unsuccessful. You'll do more tree-climbing than anything. Good luck! Be sure to laugh a lot and report back with your findings!

Neighbor and I went from the West, yes a long day, managed to hit quite a few thick spots (and prob. that same blowdown patch as you Carole!!) but we did find a jar on the summit and lots of pine needles down our shirts!!

S.W.Twin

I would recommend the Red Rock Brook side. It's a long hike but worth it. Last time we followed Moose Droppings most of the way.Time chages things so have fun no matter which way you go.

Aborted

Did not hit it today. It was pretty pea soupish, in the low 40s with a gale, and the trees soaked, so I blew off doing it. Instead, walked down to the Hut (ugh), then down gale river trial, then took some forest service roads back to the North Twin TH. That was a nice walk. The foliage is explosive right now! The reds are brilliant.

I do hope to make a play for this one more time before the snow flies, if not, it'll wait til next year. This time, from Zealand notch.

If anyone is game, shoot me a PM.

I would recommend the Red Rock Brook side. It's a long hike but worth it. Last time we followed Moose Droppings most of the way.Time chages things so have fun no matter which way you go.

Maybe I'll do it that way. Like you said, long day - what is it, 12+ of hypnotic clamback railroad grade + the bushwhack? How soon after RR Brook to you hang a right and head up? I assume you would take the most westward ridge

Going to give this a go tomorrow from the twinway. Expecting it to take 4 hours RT for the bushwhack. Will let you know what we find.

SW Twin

Sorry for not replying sooner.
Last time up We started the whack .3 past Red Rock brook, got onto the ridge after crossing two old skid roads just after starting. Easy going with minor sscrub and lots of moose do do almost to the summit.
Have you tried it yet?

The trip was a roaring success! I am already looking forward to going back. It was a little hard but only in places. The biggest mistake we made was jumping the gun too soon and starting in a little further north - this put us in some pretty thick stuff soon but revealed a little knob with a nice view. Ultimately we decided to skip this viewpoint (very thick stuff guarding it) but I remembered it and worked it in on the return trip - to the protest of my companion until we saw the view (A++++).

I will say that 100 feet to one side or the other made a world of difference. We took a parallel but different track on the way out (thanks to GPS tracking) but it was probably 10 times thicker. If we had that resistance on the way in we would never have made it in the 2 hours available before the turnback time.

The way in was a little under 2 hours but wishing to beat sunset we got out in about 45 minutes. Oh yeah we were able to speed it up because we got back onto the track we took on the way in but also did a better job going around (instead of trough) the blowdown patches we caught on the way in.

Last edited:
Now how about F. Face was the objective reached?

Well, I finally found the time to do it - TODAY. And, what a day it was.

7:20: on the trail, gale river trail. camped out the night before on gale river road so i could get an early start.

9:00 at jct with garfield ridge, 4.0 miles in.

9:30 at galehead hut. 29F. socked in above 3700'. 4.8 miles.

10:05 at S.Twin summit. Sky was getting bright, so I hung out, and man it was worth it: undercast! watched all the Whites slowly come out from the morning fog/clouds, it was incredible. Rime ice 4500' + , so some of the higher summits had white. I had S.Twin to my lonesome. 5.6 mile marker or so.

10:30 exit S.Twin after getting totally amped up over the undercast, etc.

10:50 picked my spot on the twinway to exit and plunge into the woods. spent 10 mins or so battening down the hatches, getting my compass/map out, orient to true north based on 16 degrees W declination, then computed the heading to SW Twin. decided at heading SW 235 degrees. I do not use a GPS, don't own one, old school map + compass. about 6.3 mile marker.

11:00 plunge-ho!!

12:10 on SW twin summit. Now, anyone who thinks "that was hard" needs to go hit some of the Bitchcocks. I tell you, this was a cake walk when compared. Easy 'whacking the whole way. A few thick areas, but easily avoided by rolling mostly to the north side. generally, stay on the crest of the ridge or on the north side of it . I could not locate a canister, but i am positive i was on SW twin. The trees are not thick at the top, so you can get a 360 degree view through them, and there was no higher place to go westward on that ridge. I took a good break, had lunch, etc. finally started out of there around 12:30. Destination was the rocky little knob along that ridge you can see plain as day from the hut or from S.Twin. what i did to get there was set a bearing from SW Twin to the high point on the ridge, about 45 degrees NE. again, i stayed on the N side of the ridge, the going was easy, easy, easy. Couple of crappy areas, but NOTHING compared to what you have to deal with on the Bitchcocks. Once on top of the high point, i could site the rocky knob - you can't see rocks from where i was, but can see the bulge. I set a compass bearing for that, and it took about 10 mins to get there. guessing about 1.5 miles from the twinway to here, so mile marker 7.8.

13:10 arrival on rocky knob. I agree with the previous poster, the view is very, very nice from there. You get a 360. I chilled for a good 20-30 mins drinking in the sunshine and the view, it was clear as a bell. From the top of it, I headed off the back towards the flat part on the ridge to get past the nasty scrub towards the top, then set a bearing 90 degrees due east for the Twinway.

14:00 on the twinway. Mission accomplished. Mile marker 9.3 or so.

14:30 S.Twin Summit, took in the view again, now 100% clear. mile marker 10.0 or so.

15:15 galehead hut. nice and sunny, no one around. I laid down on the bench "just for 5 minutes" I told myself, and at 16:15 woke up. Ooops, 1 hour nap! but oh did it feel damn good. mile marker 10.8 or so.

16:15 exit galehead hut.

17:57 at car. mile marker 15.6....

the best part of it was the undercast and clearing of the morning fog and the 'whack.

lots of fun!

oh, the woods swallowed one of my visors - it is a black visor with a nike swoosh, if ya find it, lemme know. stole it right off my head and i had no clue!

Last edited: