Spaulding and Sugarloaf Winter Bushwhack - 12-28-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtruman

Reaction score
We spent five awesome days at the Roadhouse in Stratton Maine last week and got in our first winter Maine 4Ks. Here's the story from the first hike - a bushwhack to Spaulding from Caribou Pond and then over to Sugarloaf - in several feet of new snow. Just amazing! Can't wait to return to this area to work our way through the rest of the Maine 4Ks. Was thinking that it would be next summer, but I'm not sure we can wait that long.

Here's the blog post and pics: http://theramblingsblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/maine-roadhouse-winter-week-spaulding.html

And a sample of the day:

Beautiful walk on Caribou Valley Road
IMG_5282.JPG

Walking in a winter wonderland
IMG_5290.JPG

Only views of the day were worth the wait
IMG_5298.JPG

Awesome stuff!Glad you guys were able to do the bushwack from caribou pond up to Spaulding.I had no luck with that last winter.That west side of Spaulding ridge had the most snow last winter I saw anywhere.
Sue is great, I have stayed at her locations at least 10 times in the last 2-3 years.Sue is really great with all types of us hikers all throughout the year.Congrats again to all of you....:)

Awesome stuff!Glad you guys were able to do the bushwack from caribou pond up to Spaulding.I had no luck with that last winter.That west side of Spaulding ridge had the most snow last winter I saw anywhere.
Sue is great, I have stayed at her locations at least 10 times in the last 2-3 years.Sue is really great with all types of us hikers all throughout the year.Congrats again to all of you....:)

Thanks Red Oak. We were lucky to hit it at the right time. Can't imagine how much snow could build up on Spaulding in another month or so based on what's already there.

You're right about Sue. This was our first time at the Roadhouse, but the group that we were with has been going there for years. We'll definitely be back.

Thanks for the trailbreaking, we were there from sugarloaf a few days later!

Glad to be of service Tom ;)

Nice read and I loved the pics. Sounds like you all had an epic and successful hike. Good for you all. Congrats

Mark,
Those were incredible hikes! The snow and blue skies are stunning. That sure was a long hike for you guys the first day and I can imagine how you felt afterwards; without much training at home. It looks like winter has taken off with a bang for NH and Maine. Let's hope that it continues for the next two months. Can't wait to get back in the mountains next month.

Donna:)