Spring bug/insect picture thread!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Now that we had the spring flowers thread going, it's time for the bug thread.

Here's some of a yellow swallowtail(?) that was serenating me while I was eating lunch at Hirschman's leanto close to the summit of Belleayre Mtn in High Mount in the catskills

Head Shot

Wing's Spread

Side Shot

:D

Jay

Last edited:
hey nice shots! I think bugs are more interesting than flowers myself.

my boys woke up screaming at about 6am on Sunday, saying there was a "huge bug" in the tent. I figured it was one of those over-sized mosquito looking bugs, I said "just kill it", after some fuss and more yelling they thought they had. Later when we were rolling up bags and pads, a bug that looked a lot like this (not my photo) fell out of the tent, still very much alive.

Millipede03.jpg

I guess it was a millipede, though ours was black and seemed to have more of a head with pincers, 3 to 4 inches long.
I saw one of these last year, the size of a small bird, really well camoflaged;

1710_09.jpg

Our contributions. . .

A Red Eft, two bugs having fun and two grasshoppers having fun. Actually the two grasshoppers were from last year but what the heck.

Last edited:
OK - enough with the smut :D

I figured I'd have to be able to find something in my yard as everything seemed to want to bite me while I was mowing tonight. Had a scout around and all I could scare up was THIS

Bob

Capoken said:
hey nice shots! I think bugs are more interesting than flowers myself.

Interesting. While looking at some of Jays pics it just occurred to me that I find pics of flowers, bugs, and other living things generally much more interesting than views from summits and lookouts. While views are great when you're actually there, it seems that the pics are almost always a bit of a disappointment. There are notable exceptions of course.

Closeups of critters and plants on the other hand, can actually add something to the experience of seeing the real thing. Maybe it's the detail a good photo can bring out, I dunno...

Matt

I was looking for a different picture and I came across THIS I was quite pleased with this one :)

Bob

two butterfly shots

There have already been a bunch of Eastern Tiger Swallowtail photos posted, but here's one more sipping on raspberry blossoms in the shade (Champney Falls trail, Mt Chocorua).

I can't figure out the precise species of this one, can anyone help? (Route 16 by the Imp Trail)

nartrab, I've seen tons of them up in the VT/MA area this past weekend, had to dodge a ton of them in my car driving through a woods road near the border. Don't know what type they are but they seem to be abundant now...

Jay

Bugs

nartreb, I hiked up to Stoney Ledge (Mt. Greylock, MA) this past weekend with my father, and there were at least 20-30 of your mystery butterfly fluttering about the trailhead parking lot. Although I also don't now their correct name.