Stablized Oxygen Water Purification?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Seaver

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience and/or knowledge on the use of Stabilized Oxygen in purifying water in the backcountry?

I am looking for an alternative to iodine tablets, etc, but am having a hard time separating the hype and facts as to the actual usage of S.O..

Supposedly it will quickly kill Giardia and other pathogens, but my biggest concern is how LONG does it take to act upon the water before it is drinkable.

Water Storage

Stabilized O2

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Kevin - that is a really neat device for the backcountry, but a bit slow for this particular outing.

I am running in the Wakely Dam race next Saturday - 32.6 miles on the Northville-Placid Trail with no aid stations but lots of bodies of water - I am trying to nail down the fastest way to purify water on the fly ( that is, as in scoop up some water, add something, and GO) so that I can carry as little as possible.

I would like to avoid using chlorine or iodide tablets if possible.

Doc- I regularly use one of the scoop and drink type ( the Outback filter) to fill bottles when I am hiking, but it takes quite a bit of effort to squeeze the water out through the filter, something I have found difficult with one hand while running. This may have to do with the cylindrical shape of the bottle - I think a more ovalized bottle would be much easier to squeeze. I am looking for something that I can use with a hydration bladder.

Hmmm...perhaps one of the outback type filters can be (or already is) adapted to be used inside a hydration bladder so that mouth suction could be used instead of squeezing?

Last edited:
Micropur MP1 Purification Tablets

Micropur MP1 Purification Tablets - The newest product in the Katadyn family of water treatment solutions. Micropur MP1 is a revolutionary chemical disinfectant that stands alone as the only treatment with EPA registration effective against giardia, Cryptosporidium, bacteria, and viruses

These sound like the hot ticket - EPA approved, kills everything in a half-hour, no taste (we'll see) and no measuring.
And they have them at EMS.

Thanks for finding that article, Kevin - hopefully they will have a lighter version of the steri-pen out soon, or even a hydration pack with a built-in sterilizer :)
The speed of the UV treatment is pretty impressive.

straw?

I had the idea of mounting an emergency filter straw (available from cabelas) in line with a hydration pack. BUt i haven;t yet made a prototype. Maybe you could. The investment would be minimal. The straws filter many gallons of water before needing to be replaced.

Tim, let us know how you make out in the run, maybe you can post it in a trail report. I'll will be doing the Piesco to Durant Lake section a couple of day's later. I also picked up the Katadyn Micropur tablets and will try them out.

Good Luck