/stove +/jetboil +/opinions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet

Reaction score
Ok, I think I am already sold on this stove. I like the idea and simplicity of it. Before I go out and buy it I wanted to get some other opinions on it, and maybee even some reports from people how have used one/own one.

How do these work in wind conditions and rain? Is this somethink I can pack up to a summit and brew up a cup of joe with?

Thanks

i grabbed a jet boil and couple summers ago on a whim. it does boil water well, but packs sort of big. i've never had it in a heavy wind, but the flame is protected pretty well by the pot on top. the biggest issue i had with it was trying to actually cook things in it. i'm pretty sure the makers claim you can bake bread in it, but i found it hard to keep noodles from boiling over. with more practice i may get it, but it does take some figuring out. i also found it very tippy. real tall with a small canister underneath. mind you it does boil fast and depending on your needs it can work quite well. for coffee or making water hot it works great and is easy to use. nice for hot drinks in the morning. i know they have added accessories and possibly changed some other things since i bought mine, but i'm assuming the design is still pretty much the same.

bryan

The Goat testers didn't care for it much.

I've seen them in action, but they're too heavy for me. Sure, they may save on fuel, but the weight of them and their lack of varied functionality was enough to turn me off. They sure are quiet though.

I bought a Dragonfly last spring and picked up a Gigapower for this summer, both of which I love and would recommend to anyone.

Jetboil is great for boiling water. Its a little iffy on other things although there are a host of accessories for it now included a skillet I saw in the store the other day. The stabilizer legs take some of the wobbliness out of it. For hot drinks and freeze dried foods you can't beat it in warmer temps. Not as good in the extreme cold because of the type of fuel. Everything packs into one neat package. Its a breeze to use. I like mine. I never use it to do anything other than boil water. Like any stove, it works better out of the wind.

We own both a Dragonfly and a Pocket Rocket. I would recommend the former (among other fine stoves) for cooking, though a little heavy and very noisy. The PR + canister is a little less weight, very reliable in wind (I had good experiences with it recently in stiff Grand Canyon winds), and extremely compact. Great for boiling water for coffee or rehydrating food, etc., not so good for cooking.

Dick

Thanks for the responses peeps. This confirms what I was thinking about this stove, and I will be mainly using it to Boil water for coffee and oatmeal.
guess, I've already decided to buy it :rolleyes: ... Ahh gear....cant get enough.

The Jetboil is a really nice stove IMO. It's not for direct cooking, but for boiling water and making hot drinks it's great. Very easy to use and easy to pack.

I think it's kind of weird that someone mentioned that it packs large. I don't see how you could pack a stove, pot and fuel cannister much smaller than the Jetboil package.

jetboil is intriguing, but I have never used one - are they stable? They seem like they would be tipsy.
If your only concerns are weight and boiling water an Esbit solid fuel stove is a great option...weighs a couple of ounces and boils 16 ounces in a few minutes...serves as its own fuel storage and pot stand too...

Jetboil igniter problems

I've had a JB for about 2 years, used it occasionally, but on my last trip found that the igniter fails more often than not (no spark at all). Has anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions? (yes, yes bring matches).
Ed

Ed Poyer said:
I've had a JB for about 2 years, used it occasionally, but on my last trip found that the igniter fails more often than not (no spark at all). Has anyone had similar problems? Any suggestions? (yes, yes bring matches).
Ed

I've watched my brother-in-law struggle with the igniter on his JB on numerous occasions. He's also had problems with the JB staying lit in cold, windy conditions. The winter fuel mix helped on our last cold trip, but did not entirely eliminate the struggle. For my money, I'm looking at a MSR Windpro--a canister gas stove that works with a wind screen. If I were going on a longer trip where fuel efficiency over the long haul mattered enough to warrant the extra weight, I would bring a heat exchanger for my pots. I think this setup gives better flexibility than the JB configuration.

Jet Boil. Have used it for years, love it, and never had a problem. I don't see how wind could possibly be an issue. That's part of the beauty in its design. I've used it in windy conditions with do problem. As far as stability goes, I have the pot holder & stabilizer do-dads and that fits the bill nicely.

FWIW, I've not used it in the winter...

Double Bow said:
I don't see how wind could possibly be an issue. That's part of the beauty in its design. I've used it in windy conditions with do problem. FWIW, I've not used it in the winter...

It seems the past two trips I've taken with my brother-in-law have been cold and really windy. His JB repeatedly went out in those conditions. Once he got the stove heated and working, it boiled exceptionally fast. My Superfly was slow to boil in those conditions (despite all efforts to improvise windbreaks) but stayed lit and got the job done eventually. It is possible that his unit is a lemon--so don't extrapolate too much from the experience with this one stove.

Lawn Sale said:
The Goat testers didn't care for it much.

Thanks for the link, makes me even happier that I bought my Pocket Rocket a couple of years ago. To use it is to love it. I'll give that link to any of my friends who are planning on upgrading.

It's very interesting to read what everyone has to say about the Jetboil. I will never buy one, I like versatility, and will never part with my whisperlite...

However, the Jetboil is all over magazines and store shelves, and one would think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Intersting to read it's pros and cons.

With a name like: "JET - BOIL" you can expect it to perform as intended...it does BOIL quite well. :)

Afterall, it's not called a "Jet Cooker"....... :rolleyes:

If you have "wind" problems with this stove, then you would have that with any stove.
Protect it!

With the coffee press, I would have to say that this unit provides the BEST cup of REAL coffee I have ever experience for backcountry breakfasts! :cool:

Overall, a nicely engineered compact and simple operation unit.

Jeff

Jeff-B said:
With a name like: "JET - BOIL" you can expect it to perform as intended...it does BOIL quite well. :)

Afterall, it's not called a "Jet Cooker"....... :rolleyes:

If you have "wind" problems with this stove, then you would have that with any stove.
Protect it!

With the coffee press, I would have to say that this unit provides the BEST cup of REAL coffee I have ever experience for backcountry breakfasts! :cool:

Overall, a nicely engineered compact and simple operation unit.

Jeff

I agree that it's well engineered and very easy to use and carry.

The coffee press feature is pretty slick, definitely a nice addition. I really like my Press-Bot Nalgene coffee press, though. It's also very well designed.

Winter stove

If you want a winter stove, nothing beats a liquid fuel stove. If your goal is to boil water, an MSR XGK is the standard. It's loud and very basic-on and off, not much in between, but I don't know of a more reliable stove for extreme conditions. I have a bunch of stoves-my latest is the Coleman Extreme. I haven't used it yet, just fired it up to make sure it works, but have used a friend's on a winter weekend trip. You can cook with it with more variety than the XGK.

The JetBoil seems too specialized for my taste. I have a tiny Primus Micron that will do the same thing, and more. I consider it ideal for day hikes or for three seasons. I have used it in winter, but you have to warm the canister and insulate it from the snow. It's a good solo stove, but maybe a bit small for a bigger cook kit.

Last edited: