Stove lighting problems.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose

Reaction score
I had a great hike this weekend (photos coming soon). Everything was good up until when I tried to light my stove in camp. My disposable lighter ran out of fluid first. Then I used my backup matches and I couldn't get a single match to light! I had them wrapped in a ziplock bag so water couldn't get to them. I've been carrying them around for years though, maybe they got old or something? I ended up scooping some untreated water from a stream and warming it in my bag overnight...

Does anyone here use a refillable butane lighter? I figure I can top off the lighter before each trip. Someone recommended a Colbri Extreme 2. Then I need a backup lighter, which I guess would be better matches?

Have you used those to light a whitegas stove? Those look handy to have as a backup to a lighter.

Mongoose and Maddy, I love those matches-not the smell though. They are essentially miniatures of the sparklers you'd get for 4th of July without as much sparkle. Once lit, they do not burn out until they are used up-definitely no blowing them out.

I have used mine to light my Optimus Nova in winter. Works great. I keep two packages with me. One in my ten essential survival bag, one with my stove.

That's good to hear. I have an Optimus Nova stove. I wasn't sure if the match would fit into the small opening where the wick is. Now to find a decent lighter.

I had a great hike this weekend (photos coming soon). Everything was good up until when I tried to light my stove in camp. My disposable lighter ran out of fluid first. Then I used my backup matches and I couldn't get a single match to light! I had them wrapped in a ziplock bag so water couldn't get to them. I've been carrying them around for years though, maybe they got old or something? I ended up scooping some untreated water from a stream and warming it in my bag overnight...

Does anyone here use a refillable butane lighter? I figure I can top off the lighter before each trip. Someone recommended a Colbri Extreme 2. Then I need a backup lighter, which I guess would be better matches?

I used to carry a butane "storm-proof"-type lighter, until I had the exact same problem you did: It ran out of fuel. It was in summer though, so it wasn't too bad...

I now carry windproof/waterproof matches I got at canadian tires. They're great stuff.

Fish

This is not so applicable in winter, but some butane stoves have a built in spark device which will light the gas without a match or lighter.

In like manner, it would be interesting if the spark device on the top of your (out-of-fuel) butane cigarette lighter could be used to light your white gas. But I can see holding the gizmo right over the gas reservoir and getting the spark to go in the right direction might involve a fair risk of burning one's self.

So put on an asbestos suit and face mask, go out in your back yard and try it. :D

Since most of us use these cheap lighters, it might be nice to know if this "off label" usage would work in a pinch.

I tried using the sparks from my lighter to light the whitegas but it didn't work. I have a feeling the piezo electric starters on butane stoves wouldn't generate enough heat to light whitegas, but it sounds like something to experiment with?

i"d say in the ziplock from yrs of sitting they sucked up moisture from heating and cooling condensation, just my first thought..

I usually carry an el-cheapo lighter and have never had it fail. As a backup, I bring anywhere matches covered in wax (just dip the heads in candle wax while it's burning). They'll last for years that way and the humidity won't affect them. Over time the matches will accumulate humidity which ruins their performance.

Let some more gas out on the priming pad if it is an MSR white gas stove. Might want to stand back some and keep the tent away from the fireball. Works great.:eek:

Looks like you've already gotten some great answers here. I had a similar question which I asked over at the ADKforum. I had some great replies there: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=10470&highlight=butane+ligher

Also, about the matches. I've found the Ziploc bags to not work that well. My last trip I waterproofed the matches with nail polish. That seemed to work quite well, as long as I had a try lighting material. Melted wax also works well, and would probably be your best bet (then, put them in a good, waterproof container).

Hope that helps.

I usually carry an el-cheapo lighter and have never had it fail.
I have had a cheap lighter fail on a winter camping trip. The valve stuck open and all the butane vented.

No problem: I had a spare lighter (which worked) and matches.

I have also seen the steel (file pattern) wheel, part of the flint and steel igniter, get rusty and become unable to cause a spark.

Doug

Also, about the matches. I've found the Ziploc bags to not work that well. My last trip I waterproofed the matches with nail polish. That seemed to work quite well, as long as I had a try lighting material. Melted wax also works well, and would probably be your best bet (then, put them in a good, waterproof container).

Hope that helps.

I keep my matches in a plastic spice bottle with a piece of striker inside. I first tested this by putting the bottle in my shower for a few day. Works great for months. I replace all the unused matches every 6 mo or so just in case. I also carry mini back up lighters.

My kids gave me a lightweight 1 1/2 inch by inch wide Mountaineers butane lighter.
Its orange and made for what we need it to do.

http://www.gearforadventure.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1277&click=14

I also carry 6 wind/waterproof matches and a strike piece in a small 3"plastic bottle. I light one each year to see if they are still flamable

Also since were on topic I carry fire starter (a small zip lock bag with vaseline and lint and/or cotton balls.

Rub vaseline on the cotton balls or lint and you'll start wet kindlin .

Dryer lint is also said to make excellent firestarting material.

I like the idea of carrying a candle and getting that going first, then having it as a "source" for material for lighting a cranky stove.

I went to REI and picked up some stuff yesterday. I got those REI stormproof matches which work nicely. I tossed one on the snow after lighting a candle and it continued to burn. I also got a Windmill butane lighter. There have been mixed reviews about butane lighters but this looks like it will work, as long as I keep it warm in my pocket. I'll get a plastic bottle for the matches too, instead of a ziplock bag. Thanks for the info everyone. Hopefully I won't spend another night in the cold. :)