Street and Nye from the Loj Feb 23rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couchybar

Reaction score
Left the Loj and signed the register at 10.45. The packed Old Nye trail was easygoing to the Brook. Just beyond heart Lake property ran into the only person I would meet before Street. He was on his way back after a 7.30 a.m start. That’s fast. Indian pass brook was completely frozen over. And the path to the col was easy to follow. At a few points it separated at blow downs one path going under the and the other around. A light person on big snowshoes must have made the path around. I kept break through to eagerly awaiting spruce.

Made the col then summated Nye at 1.11

Left the col at 1.27 then followed the broken trail to Street. This was not the official heard path. It went through the trees and was fraught with traps for this heavier snowshoer on low flotation MSR’s. But hey, it was already broken. Met a spread out family of four just before the summit of street (including the kid on snowshoes that had caused me so much grief :) ) Then on the summit at 1.52 a departing pair of hikers that included Gary W. Koch ( Contributor to Barbara McMarintins well read High Peaks guide).

Had the summit and viewpoint to myself for lunch and pictures on this clear and beautiful day. Sometimes a late start has advantages.

Leaving the summit I was able to find what I thought was the official way down. It was easy trail breaking until I lost it near the col. A lengthy extrication from a very deep and tenacious spruce trap then sent me bushwhacking some 50 feet to the officially broken trail.

Got back to the Loj at 5

Required equipment:
Snowshoes