Study: Northeast winters warming fast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one doubts that group think exists. My issue is that 'group think' 'collusion' etc is part of the denialist drone when discussing AGW. these terms get introduced into the discussion as pat talking points. It is a heavy accusation made in passive aggressive manner, by an association. Are you saying that the world's climatogists and the science journals are guilty of group think? Have they excluded articles that run counter to the consensus based on bias alone? etc. If you are not why are these issues being brought up without a cautious disclaimer? It is the same thing as mentioning alcholism or welfare reform when a certain ethnic group or race is being discussed. It may or may not be true for an individual but one can not broad brush the entire group. The autmatic response to bring up 'group think' and other actions of a hegemony in discussions on global warming is itself a form of group think.

BTW there was a thread on fatigue that contained a link to a NY Times article about lactic acid. A MD researcher propsed data that ran counter to the lactic acid paradigm. He was squeezed out of some medical journals. Yes it does exist but based on this one example I am not ready to bash all medical journals and all doctors. Are you?

Denialist drone? I would hope that simply wondering if a group will consider certain solutions to a problem I have clearly acknowledged exists, beyond those already reviewed by the scientific community, is far from denialist. I don’t see it as a direct accusation either.

As I have said more than once. I am not accusing anyone of bias or collusion. I don't believe the scientific community is intentionally excluding anything.

I was pointing out in my earlier posts and this morning's note (from a Newsweek article I had recently read) that a human tendency is for those with a common background not to look outside that common thought process.

Ideas from outside a group with a given commonality (education, political affiliation, number of 4000 foot peaks completed) will be looked at in a different light than those from within the group. It's human nature, not a conspiracy. And identifying that component of human nature is not an attack on the group. It's merely an observation.

I'm not saying that global warming does not exist. I'm not saying that the identified causes aren't valid. I’m not saying that I have the answer. I’m not saying that any potentially solutions to the problem have been intentionally or unintentionally suppressed. I'm saying that an unorthodox solution might be the answer to the problem but that human nature will have a tendency to prevent that idea from being received with an open mind.

. If you are not why are these issues being brought up without a cautious disclaimer?

Stashzdanuk
Your post sounds like a dsiclaimer to me.;)
I in no way meant to say that you are a denier or that you are droning. You can state your position clearly without me or anyone putting words in your mouth. I just felt that these accusations were being injected into the thread without the disclaimers. I am quick to defend the climatologists and other scientists working in the GW field. They have been maligned and demonized by the general public.

We have both made our points. We may be closer in agreement then we think..time to move on...

A study on the belief that humans are a significant cause of global warming: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_3_118/ai_n31587143/

Those who believe that humans are a significant cause:
* 60% of Americans
* <50% of Americans think scientists agree
* 85% of Earth scientists
* 97% of well-published climate experts.

This says something about poor scientific literacy in this country and poor communication between the experts and the population at large... (And maybe the effects of commercial FUD.)

Doug

Here is another poll that slipped by me last week, with quite different results from those noted above.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/environment/energy_update

Lets not argue for a few posts on weither humans are the cause or not and discuss.....

Do we think the trend to warming will continue no matter what the cause and will it be harmfull?

Should humans do what we can to change the trend?

Do we wait for a crises or bigger crises, if you prefer, to occure and respond to it then like we usually do?

Here is another poll that slipped by me last week, with quite different results from those noted above.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/environment/energy_update
My reading suggests that they aren't that different.

The only common data point between the two is whether the American public thinks that people are the cause of global warming. The "Out of sync with science" article (my link) says "fewer than 60% of Americans" and the "Energy Update" article (your link) says "42% of U.S. voters" (in a telephone survey).

Since one article gives no info on the sampling method and the other used a flawed sampling technique and neither gives any error analysis (eg standard deviations) it is difficult to make an accurate comparison. IMO the results are in the same general region.

Doug

My reading suggests that they aren't that different.

The only common data point between the two is whether the American public thinks that people are the cause of global warming. The "Out of sync with science" article (my link) says "fewer than 60% of Americans" and the "Energy Update" article (your link) says "42% of U.S. voters" (in a telephone survey).

Since one article gives no info on the sampling method and the other used a flawed sampling technique and neither gives any error analysis (eg standard deviations) it is difficult to make an accurate comparison. IMO the results are in the same general region.

Doug

I was reading the "fewer than 60% of Americans" to mean closer to 60% than 42%, which would be quite different. I believe that standard deviations for the Rasmussen telephone polls are probably similar to the political ones that they conduct on a regular basis, which are usually 3 to 4%, but of course quite often these polls get it wrong as people do not always say what they believe (or vote).

Although the following report(s) does not directly relate to New England climate (the original subject of this thread), diminishing Arctic sea ice will become a more and more problematic issue for those on this board with aspirations for the Grand Slam (7 summits and 2 poles).

--------------------
The 2009 September Sea Ice Outlook: June Report is now available. This
Outlook report, based on May data, indicates a continuation of low
pan-arctic sea ice extent. The range of individual outlook values is
from 4.2 to 5.0 million square kilometers. All estimates are well below
the 1979-2007 September climatological mean value of 6.7 million square
kilometers. The June Outlook suggests a similar, or slightly increased,
September 2009 extent compared to the September 2008 value of 4.7
million square kilometers. However, there is a small but important
probability of a major sea ice loss event this year, given that the ice
is thinner and younger than previous years, combined with a possibility
of atmospheric conditions that cause significant ice retreat. To view
the report, please go to:
http://www.arcus.org/search/seaiceoutlook/2009_outlook/report_june.php.

As a new feature of the 2009 Sea Ice Outlook, a separate Regional Report
synthesizes contributions that provide perspective on specific areas of
the Arctic. The individual contributions indicate that it is highly
likely that the Northern Sea Route will be passable this year, while
only one passageway of the Northwest Passage is likely to open, if at
all. Ice conditions in the seas north of Alaska are predicted to be
milder than normal due to a lack of multi-year ice compared to the past
several years. To view the Regional June Report, please go to the
Regional Corner: http://www.arcus.org/search/seaiceoutlook/regional.php.

Now in its second year, the SEARCH Sea Ice Outlook is an international
effort to provide an integrated, community-wide summary of the expected
September arctic sea ice minimum. Monthly reports, based on the prior
month's data, are issued throughout the summer.

The Sea Ice Outlook should not be considered as a formal prediction for
arctic sea ice extent, nor is it intended as a replacement for existing
efforts or centers with operational responsibility. Rather, it is a
community effort that provides an instrument for synthesis of data from
arctic observing systems and modeling activities to provide insight into
the arctic sea ice system.

For further information and to view the reports, please go to:
http://www.arcus.org/search/seaiceoutlook/index.php.

Lets not argue for a few posts on weither humans are the cause or not and discuss.....

Do we think the trend to warming will continue no matter what the cause and will it be harmfull?

Do we wait for a crises or bigger crises, if you prefer, to occure and respond to it then like we usually do?

No takers? :(

As you wish...

It's a big thing to change. Can we stop it completely and/or reverse? My assumption is that we can only slow it some. We want to continue to work to that end but should also start working really hard on mitigating the results of what will likely happen.

We need to be careful there. Humans brought the bald eagle back and now the bald eagle threatens the great cormorant population http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30044. Every action has a reaction and we should fully understand the reaction to anything we do to make sure we don't make an even bigger mess.

I think most would say there is already a crisis. Again, proceed as quickly as possible with whatever the right solution might be with great caution.

Yes, yes, yes, and no, to answer your four questions, in my opinion. My 'no' answer to your last question means that I think we need to reduce CO2 levels in Earth's atmosphere to 350 ppm by 2050 (we are now at 388 ppm, and climbing 2.5 ppm each year).

From Down Under (Oz and NZ), I have been following the ACES (Waxman-Markley) climate bill make its way through Congress, which barely passed in its House vote (219 to 212) on June 26th 2009. Part of the reason that the vote was so close is that some progressive Dems voted against it, such as Dennis Kucinich, who wrote the piece below, to which I agree.

We need something much stronger than the cap-and-trade scheme proposed in this bill, which is a give-away to the coal and nuclear power industries, and might not even hold CO2 levels in Earth's atmosphere to 450 ppm by 2050, which would mean the end of sea-ice cover over the Arctic Ocean, perhaps throughout the year; complete melting of all remaining alpine glaciers on Earth; and perhaps a catastrophic meltdown of the Greenland and West Antarctic ice sheets (up to 5-6 and 3-6 meters of sea level rise tied up in these two ice masses, respectively). Needless to say, and in accordance with the original topic of this thread posted by Kevin Rooney, no more ski or snowshoe industry in northern New England can be assumed with CO2 levels in Earth's atmosphere at 450 ppm. I will follow up with a little summary on other cap-and-trade climate mitigation efforts in a reply. But, on a positive note, winter speed records for the 48 NH4s could ramp up significantly!

Jun 29, 2009
H.R. 2454 - won't address the problem. In fact,it might make the problem worse.

Congressman Dennis Kucinich
"I oppose H.R. 2454, the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009.
...The reason is simple. It won't address the problem. In fact, it might make the problem worse.

"It sets targets that are too weak, especially in the short term, and sets about meeting those targets through Enron-style accounting methods. It gives new life to one of the primary sources of the problem that should be on its way out"" coal "" by giving it record subsidies. And it is rounded out with massive corporate giveaways at taxpayer expense. There is $60 billion for a single technology which may or may not work, but which enables coal power plants to keep warming the planet at least another 20 years.

"Worse, the bill locks us into a framework that will fail. Science tells us that immediately is not soon enough to begin repairing the planet. Waiting another decade or more will virtually guarantee catastrophic levels of warming. But the bill does not require any greenhouse gas reductions beyond current levels until 2030.

"Today's bill is a fragile compromise, which leads some to claim that we cannot do better. I respectfully submit that not only can we do better; we have no choice but to do better. Indeed, if we pass a bill that only creates the illusion of addressing the problem, we walk away with only an illusion. The price for that illusion is the opportunity to take substantive action.

"There are several aspects of the bill that are problematic.
1. Overall targets are too weak.
2. The offsets undercut the emission reductions.
4. EPA's authority to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the short- to medium-term is rescinded.
5. Nuclear power is given a lifeline instead of phasing it out.
6. Dirty Coal is given a lifeline instead of phasing it out.
7. The $60 billion allocated for Carbon Capture and Sequestration (CCS) is triple the amount of money for basic research and development in the bill. We should be pressuring China, India and Russia to slow and stop their power plants now instead of enabling their perpetuation. We cannot create that pressure while spending unprecedented amounts on a single technology that may or may not work. If it does not work on the necessary scale, we have then spent 10-20 years emitting more CO2, which we cannot afford to do. In addition, those who will profit from the technology will not be viable or able to stem any leaks from CCS facilities that may occur 50, 100, or 1000 years from now.
8. Carbon markets can and will be manipulated using the same Wall Street sleights of hand that brought us the financial crisis.
9. It is regressive. Free allocations doled out with the intent of blunting the effects on those of modest means will pale in comparison to the allocations that go to polluters and special interests.
10. The Renewable Electricity Standard (RES) is not an improvement. The 15% RES standard would be achieved even if we failed to act.
11. Dirty energy options qualify as "renewable"-: The bill allows polluting industries to qualify as "renewable energy."- Trash incinerators not only emit greenhouse gases, but also emit highly toxic substances.
12. It undermines our bargaining position in international negotiations in Copenhagen and beyond.
13. International assistance is much less than demanded by developing countries.

"Passing a weak bill today gives us weak environmental policy tomorrow,"- Kucinich.

Last edited:
First, here is a link to NASE climate scientist Jim Hansen's take on cap-and-trade climate plans at Columbia University in May 2009.

http://itsgettinghotinhere.org/2009...-cap-and-trade-approach-to-climate-will-fail/

And, here is my summary of some past cap-and-trade schemes.

EPA’s 302 Acid Rain Sulfur Dioxide Reduction Program, 1990
Amendment to Clean Air Act from early 1970s
Goal to reduce SO2 emissions 20% by 2020
Result about 5% by 2007, so not going to make it
Also, $2billion kick back to coal industry

RECLAIM = Regional Clean Air Incentives Market
Southern California in early 1990s
Goal to reduce NOx emissions 70% and SO2 emissions 60%
Way short, with still 16,000 premature deaths per year due to air pollution

EU ETS = European Union Emissions Trading Scheme
Initiated by EU after Bush and U.S. bailed on Kyoto in 2001
Goal to reduce six worst greenhouse gases to 8% below 1990 levels
Some reductions so far, but way short

REGGI = Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative
Northeastern U.S. states agreement
Massachusetts finally joined after Patrick replaced Romney as governor
Goal to reduce CO2 emissions by 10% from 2002-2004 levels by 2018
Way too modest, as need to reduce CO2 emissions 80% by 2050

In my opinion, there is no evidence that any of these cap-and-trade policies have been effective. For example, what little decrease so far in greenhouse gas emissions under EU ETS and REGGI could be simply the result of warmer winters, increased energy efficiencies, etc.

In my opinion, Jim Hansen is correct that we need a carbon tax, not another Wall Street cap-and-trade scheme.

Yes, yes, yes, and no, to answer your four questions, in my opinion. My 'no' answer to your last question means that I think we need to reduce CO2 levels in Earth's atmosphere to 350 ppm by 2050 (we are now at 388 ppm, and climbing 2.5 ppm each year).

So our atmosphere is now 0.0388% CO2, and in ~25 years it will be 0.045% CO2, bringing about flooding of apocalyptic proportions?

The odds that I will be alive in 2034 AD are pretty good. I suspect there could be some significant upheaval in the preceding years, yes?

We need something much stronger than the cap-and-trade scheme proposed in this bill, which is a give-away to the coal and nuclear power industries...

A question not intended to pull this off topic.

Without getting into a discussion on the issues related to nuclear power how does this relate to nuclear power generation when they don't generate greenhouse gasses? Or is it that without coal and other "dirty" generators in the mix nuclear will be looked at as a bigger option?

Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
A question not intended to pull this off topic.

Without getting into a discussion on the issues related to nuclear power how does this relate to nuclear power generation when they don't generate greenhouse gasses? Or is it that without coal and other "dirty" generators in the mix nuclear will be looked at as a bigger option?

Is there something I'm missing?

Excellent point. I think that the nuclear industry is lobbying really hard for the carbon cap-and-trade bill because they will benefit as an alternative non-carbon-producing energy source (regulatory issues have made nuclear not economically viable since Three Mile Island and Chernobyl). In fact, Jim Hansen has been talking about nuclear as an option more and more of late.

To answer Barbarossa, because of the lag times involved with glacier melting, especially the major ice sheets, I do not think that we will be alive for the worst of sea-level rise. But, future generations over the next few centuries will be. Most climate models using a 450 ppm CO2 base suggest about 0.5 to 1.5 meters of sea-level rise by 2100 AD; that alone will be catastrophic for society, given that a large portion of the world's population lives less 1.0 meter above modern sea level.

Excellent point. I think that the nuclear industry is lobbying really hard for the carbon cap-and-trade bill because they will benefit as an alternative non-carbon-producing energy source (regulatory issues have made nuclear not economically viable since Three Mile Island and Chernobyl). In fact, Jim Hansen has been talking about nuclear as an option more and more of late.

Solar, Wind and other renewables will also benefit if carbon emissions are taxed.

Apparently $18.5 billion in loan guarantees for new nuclear plants will soon be awarded.

Last evening my wife and I watched Werner Herzog's 2008 documentary on Antarctica - Encounters at the End of the World thanks to Netflix.

What I most struck by was the sense that many (most?) climatologists and volcanologists have a pessimistic view of mankind's ability to survive the impact of global warming, and that extinction seems all but inevitable.

While I have no professional credentials regarding global warming, I am an avid reader on the subject. Personally, I think we passed the tipping point some years ago (20-25), probably about when the concentration of CO2 passed 350ppm.

As a corollary to that, Nicholas Kristof has an interesting piece in the NY Times which may provide insight into why our species is unable to deal with inevitability of GW (with all due respect to the US House's recent anemic bill).

GW may be inevitable, and worst case outcomes may be disruptive, and even result in large numbers of people dying over the long haul. But to suggest that humans will be made extinct by GW is just flat out stupid, so stupid as to call into question any other input from whatever source that comes from. Humans with zero technology survived several ice ages, which are a heck of a lot tougher than a "warm age." (Many species which are stuck in narrow habitat bands and don't have the ability to relocate may made extinct by big climate swings in either direction, but that's not relevant to this prediction.)

TCD

But to suggest that humans will be made extinct by GW is just flat out stupid, so stupid as to call into question any other input from whatever source that comes from.
TCD

Well, there certainly are people who believe that's the way we're heading. But even if there weren't I suppose the problem is that if "they" claim Global Warming will only be an annoyance or inconvenience or that only remote people in remote areas will die, still fewer people will care than already do. Ironically Human Extinction would solve the AGW issue.

... But to suggest that humans will be made extinct by GW is just flat out stupid, so stupid as to call into question any other input from whatever source that comes from.

The comments relayed by Herzog startled me, and and that later turned to dismay - but never did I consider them stupid.

I'd be interested in Dr. D's take on this, and whether Herzog's observations reflect a underlying concern shared by scientists studying the GW problem, or whether it's more confined to specific communities, such as the scientific community in Antarctica.

Last evening my wife and I watched Werner Herzog's 2008 documentary on Antarctica - Encounters at the End of the World thanks to Netflix.

What I most struck by was the sense that many (most?) climatologists and volcanologists have a pessimistic view of mankind's ability to survive the impact of global warming, and that extinction seems all but inevitable.

While I have no professional credentials regarding global warming, I am an avid reader on the subject. Personally, I think we passed the tipping point some years ago (20-25), probably about when the concentration of CO2 passed 350ppm.

As a corollary to that, Nicholas Kristof has an interesting piece in the NY Times which may provide insight into why our species is unable to deal with inevitability of GW (with all due respect to the US House's recent anemic bill).

I, too, enjoyed Werner Herzog's film, as many of the scientists featured are not only colleagues, but long-time personal friends. My first and only trip to Antarctica via the South Island of New Zealand, where I am at the moment, was shared with Doug MacAyael (the glaciologist who made the computer animation of the icebergs put to classical music for Herzog) when we were students. Bill MacIntosh (the volcanologist interviewed by Herzog on the rim of Mount Erebus volcano) is married to Nelia Dunbar, who was my only summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kap student at Mount Holyoke College before they met (Nelia has now logged more trips, 20 I think, to Antarctica than any other female). Most of the climate scientists that I know are optimists, but perhaps that comes with being academics. I know that Jim Hansen is an optimist. But, I am sure that they would agree that the recent House bill is not going to cut it, and may in fact set us back. Australia is waitng for us to take the lead, as is most of the world. New Zealand, on the other hand, has moved ahead on their own and made the most progress towards becoming a carbon-neutral country (hopeless optimists?).

I am off to seek the royal albatross at its only land-based colony on the planet today (Harrington Point east of Dunedin); their kind of weather, cold, windy, and raining, so perhaps I have a chance (the hopeless optimist). I also might see the rare yellow-eyed penquins if they decide to come onshore earlier than usual. :)