Stupid Scree Wall on Mt. Bond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is part of an email that we recieved today from the Forest Service in response to an email we sent them on this:

Several forest visitors have voiced their concern about the construction of the scree wall on Mt. Bond. *There has been ongoing work by the Appalachian Mountain Club staff in that area, however, the intensity of the scree wall was in error. *Efforts have already taken place to diminish the scree wall while still affording some protection to the fragile alpine ecosystem.

Got the same email from the FS today. I'm sure this thread was the impetus for many emails to the FS. Dr. Wu's the man.

They saw the word "stupid" then they saw "Dr. Wu" and then they ...
thought, that's redundant!:eek:

Heck, I was hoping to build it a little higher, I enjoy stonework, weave a fir roof and camp there. :D

thought, that's redundant!:eek:

Heck, I was hoping to build it a little higher, I enjoy stonework, weave a fir roof and camp there. :D
It is redundant as in "Dr. Wu roots the stupid out of every situation..."

If anything, the dead wood reinforced stone wall is going to make someone a nice campfire ring with fuel and even added stones for a wind shelter.

I still advocate protecting the little alpine zone up there but better thought could be applied to keep access open and protect the area at the same time. Simply closing it off won't accomplish much because, as we already said, people will either step over the barrier (instead of sticking to a path) or they will dismantle the wall and do something -- probably unhelpful -- with the rocks.

-Dr. Wu