Stupid Scree Wall on Mt. Bond

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on Dr. Wu!
This really makes me mad:
As the co-adopter of a trail for 3 years (Osseo on Flume), we were required to take an AMC skills session to "qualify" as a Trail Adopter, a responsibilty that i love to take care of.
However, it was drilled into us that we need to RESPECT the mountain and the enviroment in addition to keeping the trail safe and enjoyable for all to use.
My question is, how does something like this RESPECT the summit of Mt Bond?!?!? What's more, doesn't this show us all that ANYONE can determine for THEMSELF how a summit should be "maintained" or "protected"??? I can see it now- dozens of self-assuming people constructing all sorts of barriers and walls and stuff for the "preservation" of whatever they deem worthy for themselves... (don't get me wrong- i support alpine vegetation preservation, but Guy Waterman must be turning in his grave over this)

PERHAPS... this is the secret beginning of a 'grandfathered' foundation wall for the future "Mt Bond Hotel"... because we all love to see foundations and tower supports on all our open summits, right???

Everyone who takes the time and energy to get to the Bonds knows enough to stay off the vegetation

Not everyone. While we were there earlier this week, the caretaker (whom I found quite pleasant, courteous and well-intentioned) told of a fellow he'd recently intercepted digging out the diapensia on the far side of that wall with a trenching tool to make a flatter spot for his tent for the night ...

I think Ian, the caretaker in question, has taken the view that desperate times call for desperate measures. One of the first things he asked me when we talked was what I thought about his admittedly aggressive efforts on that summit. I think it is certainly a good thing that he'll be involved in a larger dialogue with AMC trails & shelters, and with the USFS, about the situation there.

Not everyone. While we were there earlier this week, the caretaker (whom I found quite pleasant, courteous and well-intentioned) told of a fellow he'd recently intercepted digging out the diapensia on the far side of that wall with a trenching tool to make a flatter spot for his tent for the night ...
The problem is a silly wall isn't going to stop a douchebag setting up a tent. Worse, the wall with the reinforced dead trees will provide a fire ring and fuel. Conservation is good but some rational thought has to go into it.

-Dr. Wu

Looks like the old cow fences they used to build many years ago with dead stumps and trees. He may be better suited working in Sturbridge Village! I'm sure it started out with good intentions and once he got going he couldn't help himself by thinking it was such a good wall. Mountains don't need walls! They need respect and understanding! Cattle corrals are for fast food restaurants and banks where masses pour in and can't be bothered with thinking about where to walk and whose next in the feedline! Its about time the education process expanded to enlighten the people given a bit of authority what our mountains should look like! Most people will walk the path of least resistance with the more solid footing. Had the loose rocks been strewn in a more natural manner where the revegetation was taking place it would likely have created the better outcome! Rebels and bovine will tramp on through!

Last edited:
My understanding is that the FS now allows a small cairn at the base of the slide and another at the true summit. This is to "protect the resource" (as it were) by minimizing the herd paths forming everywhere to find the turn and the summit.

I would not get all worked up about Owl's Head. It's not scary at all.

Tim

My understanding is that the FS now allows a small cairn at the base of the slide and another at the true summit. This is to "protect the resource" (as it were) by minimizing the herd paths forming everywhere to find the turn and the summit.

I would not get all worked up about Owl's Head. It's not scary at all.

Tim

You don't know my about my "directionally challanged" state do you:eek: Stories for another time ("Jackson, is that YOU"?)

Owl's Head Path

As of Sunday, cairn plus stone arrow at the base of the path, cairn on the broad ledge where the trail starts hugging the left edge of the slide, stone arrow and small arrow sign on the false summit, cairn and small sign on the true summit.

Not too hard to find even without cairns: detailed directions here:
http://www.summitpost.org/route/165816/Owl-s-Head-Path-West-Slide-.html

Yup, the ranger said it was coming down. It's just the result of an overzealous caretaker who needs a bit of education. I think we can shelve the gnashing of teeth for now.

-dave-

Yup, the ranger said it was coming down. It's just the result of an overzealous caretaker who needs a bit of education. I think we can shelve the gnashing of teeth for now.

-dave-
Do you remember the Ranger that you spoke to? I want to see if I can dynamite the scree wall. Serious. I don't think the summit of Bond is in the wildnerness area -- all I'd need is a few people (Jason and his sheep might be able to help) to help me lug a ton or two of TNT to the summit and WHAMMO! No more scree wall!

-Dr. Wu

Any idea what persuaded the FS to decide to take it down? Or did they not like it from the start?

I'm just curious if the stink created on this thread had any influence on the decision. If we did have a big effect, it's good to know that our opinion really matters in case anything else equally ridiculous pops up in the future.

Any idea what persuaded the FS to decide to take it down? Or did they not like it from the start?

I'm just curious if the stink created on this thread had any influence on the decision. If we did have a big effect, it's good to know that our opinion really matters in case anything else equally ridiculous pops up in the future.
I think it's because of me. Probably they will listen if they see Dr. Wu endorse it. They will act, quickly, when they see the work of a Rational Mind making suggestions.

-Dr. Wu

It wasn't built by the FS, they never approved it nor were they asked. It was done by the caretaker. The FS just took a few days to investigate and determine that it wasn't the right approach. It had nothing to do with us, but I don't think we hurt anything either.

-dave-

It had nothing to do with us, but I don't think we hurt anything either.
That's what they might have told you but you absolutely know that's not the case. The saw the thread. They saw the word "stupid" then they saw "Dr. Wu" and then they jumped into action. Notice how they're scrambling right now. That thing will be down and they'll probably put the caretakers head on a stick and hang it up on the top of Mt. Bond within the week...

-Dr. Wu

That thing will be down and they'll probably put the caretakers head on a stick and hang it up on the top of Mt. Bond within the week...

-Dr. Wu

Some thing tells me that would only be perpetuating the problem of disregard for proper practices of LNT which was the root of the original post.:rolleyes:

That thing will be down and they'll probably put the caretakers head on a stick and hang it up on the top of Mt. Bond within the week...

-Dr. Wu

Damn...my pitchfork and torch are in the shop for routine scheduled maintenance.

Here is part of an email that we recieved today from the Forest Service in response to an email we sent them on this:

Several forest visitors have voiced their concern about the construction of the scree wall on Mt. Bond. *There has been ongoing work by the Appalachian Mountain Club staff in that area, however, the intensity of the scree wall was in error. *Efforts have already taken place to diminish the scree wall while still affording some protection to the fragile alpine ecosystem.