suggestions for Colorado, Wyoming, Utah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anita514

we will be in this area some time in spring/summer 2006 and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
we're looking to climb as much as we can, no flat hikes please!
any favorite peaks? exhilerating scrambles? great views?

I have plenty of Colorado plans (thanks RGF1!) but not so many for the other states.
so far we're thinking of south teton, henrys fork peak, fremont peak...

East to West --

Long's Peak, Devil's Tower, Wind Rivers (Cirque of the Towers), Tetons

cb

A nice day hike would be Table Mtn, on the border of Idaho/Wyoming. Nice views of the Tetons.

Lawn Lake and Crystal Lake in RMNP are gorgeous. Relatively short and easy dayhike, but well worth the views:)

Anita , I sent you some info on a few places in WY But for others , Middle Teton is a great 3rd class scramble from the south west couloir route on moderate snow there is the Glacier route as described on Summit post and a Number or easy 5th class routes on the North and North West. the start at the Lower Saddle where the Exum ridge route on the Grand among others starts . It is best to go mid week as pewrmmits can be hard to get.
Freemont and Gannett are two of Wy's finest peaks . Freemont has a nice 3rd class ramble up the south west and requires a 15 mile or so back pack to Titcomb basin a amazing place. Gannett's easiest route is the Gooseneck Glacier a mixed 4th class climb on rock ice and snow best done on perfect day. There are some other 4th and 5th class routes on both peaks.
The Winds are a great cliomb and hiking destination remote and lightly used not to mention spectacular over all .The Elks are probably Colorado's most bueatiful range ! Climbing can be very dangerous and the weather is extrodinarly unpredictable Storms cam brew up out of no where even before noon . It is not uncommon for over a foot of Snow to fall in a short time in any month above 11,000 ft. and they are often considered the crown jewel of the Rockies .

Last edited: