summer weight hiking pants ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
A) I'm looking for nylon
B) I'm frustrated by the selection of reasonably priced shorts and pants that's apparent
C) I'm not looking to spend a ton; I tend to wreck pants and shorts
D) While my heritage and coloring might indicate a kilt, I'm not there...yet.

Any sub $65 and preferably sub $45 pant and short recs would be appreciated. Thanks.

Head into any REI, EMS, etc and try on a few zip-off pants. Stuff should be going on sale about now; you should be able to find something under $50 with no trouble.

Check the online outlets (backcountry.com, steepandcheap, rei-outlet.com, etc etc) too.
Example: http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-horizon-falls-convertible-pant-mens

Just keep in mind that different makers have very different ideas about how pants should fit. I've been happy with none of the ones I've tried, but some are worse than others.

EMS has a summer zip-off hiking pant that they sell for $45 that I've been very satisfied with. Very lightweight, and helps keep my legs cool. Only drawback is that the built in belt it comes with absolutely sucks (always comes undone on it's own) but it's easy enough to thread a new belt through the waist.

Depends on the fashion statement you want to make.

For quite a few years I wore a pair of inexpensive swimming/running trunks with a liner ... they happened to be shocking pink :eek: which I though would come in handy if I were subject of a search event. On cooler days they coordinated nicely when worn over a navy blue pair of long johns! :D I really appreciated that they had that mesh interior key pocket as well as two fairly deep side pockets.

I still prefer lined shorts for both hiking and paddling. They're versatile, dry quickly (overnight drying is usually possible but even damp they're comfortable for me), eliminate the need for underwear and reasonably cool in hot muggy weather. My latest pair came from LLBean. I've never seen convertible pants with the liner but since I have three pair, which probably are the least used of my outdoor clothing, I probably wouldn't buy a pair if I found them ... what size are you looking for?

I think you're just as apt to find a suitable pair of shorts in a sporting goods store as in an outdoor store.

Good query--I'm looking for pants that would combine light weight with a certain amount of durability. I did some bushwhacking a couple weeks ago and really regretted not having pants, but I would have been too hot and wore shorts instead. After pulling 15-20 ticks off my legs and rinsing them in the nearest stream (poison ivy) I made a mental note to watch for something that would protect my legs but keep semi-cool.

A side note: Do you remember the parachute pants fad in the 80's? I had a couple pairs of those, in teal no less, that were pretty well constructed and were great for high desert hikes. :D

I second Nartreb's suggestion of zip-off pants. IMO, they are very practical for hiking. They also work nicely over long-johns in conditions that are a bit cool for summer gear and a bit warm for winter gear. (If you are wearing high gaiters, you can just drop the legs into the gaiters.)

Some suggestions:
* Get solid (non-mesh) pockets if you want to put anything in them. Mesh pockets wear out very quickly if you put keys etc in them.
* Make sure the leg zipper is high enough that it will not rub on your knees when walking or sitting.

FWIW, the REI pants seem to (all?) have mesh pockets. I bought (and like) a pair of EMS pants (with solid pockets). The built-in belt works well enough for me. I have also been happy with Columbia in the past.

Doug

Last edited:
"D) While my heritage and coloring might indicate a kilt, I'm not there...yet."

I think that is the way for you to go. your hiking times will plummet as hikers stop you to get advice on a good single malt.

Seriously...try lederhosen.

I have two pairs of EMS zip-offs which I really like. The belts are not ideal, but they work well enough for me. There are several choices and I can't remember which one I settled on but as Doug mentions, watch the knee-zipper height. I think I paid around $45 on sale. I do remember getting whichever model came in multiple lengths since I have a longer (34) inseam.

Tim

I probably wouldn't buy a pair if I found them ... what size are you looking for?

Part of the problem: Right now I'm 33 waist 29 inseam, which is rare, so I need to go to 34x30 or 32x30. Standard length is 32.

marnof said:
A side note: Do you remember the parachute pants fad in the 80's? I had a couple pairs of those, in teal no less

TMI !!! ;)

DougPaul said:
* Make sure the leg zipper is high enough that it will not rub on your knees when walking or sitting.

This is a concern as I have short legs and the inseam on convertibles shorts look to be generally 10", which would place the zipper at the length of irritation. Pretty sure I'll get nylon hiking/climbing non convertible pants and carry shorts or bathing suit.

I love the idea of hiking in a bathing suit - I often wear one for yard work. "Summer pants" is an oxymoron. But the problem with swim shorts is that stuff (keys, phone, money) tends to fall out of the pockets too easily (i.e., whenever I sit down). So you'd need something purse-like, preferably that you wear at your waist... I think they call that a sporran.

Just bought a pair of convertables from Gander MT, store brand, $45 range, cheaper than Dicks. Lots of pockets, no observations about the belt. No ankle zipper to make them slip over boots easy but I can live with that. Even went swimming in them and let them dry on me as a test before going out next wekend.

Right now I'm 33 waist
I hate you. :D I bought 2X. :eek:

Last edited:
I had a pair of EMS nylon pants for many years that are similar to THESE. You'll probably have to shorten them though.

Greenie for Little Rickie !

Thanks all, was able to locate convertibles (8 1/2" shorts) and hiking shorts (orange !) in my size with free shipping at Gander Mountain for about the same price most stores wanted for a pair of shorts. So I can try the convertibles and see how I like them.

Originally posted by Marnof
A side note: Do you remember the parachute pants fad in the 80's? I had a couple pairs of those, in teal no less

TMI !!! ;)

Ohh--I can do better than that. Check out the precursor to the EMS nylon pants, ca. 1983ish. Going from the peak to the apre-hike dance club without missing a beat. Men's whole and half sizes S through 2XL. Price: $24.95. :D

parachute pants stack rock by cubist11, on Flickr

But, seriously, the EMS convertibles do look good. I saw some from Duluth Trading that looked interesting as well:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-quick-dry-nylon-pants-34501.aspx

Ohh--I can do better than that. Check out the precursor to the EMS nylon pants, ca. 1983ish. Going from the peak to the apre-hike dance club without missing a beat. Men's whole and half sizes S through 2XL. Price: $24.95. :D

parachute pants stack rock by cubist11, on Flickr

Girbaud or BonJour ? (I was right there with you, Stud.)

NH Tramper said:
Although this quest seems to be over, I love my Kühl jean pants from EMS (on sale right now).

I saw those, but not in my size at a decent price.