Sunrise on Moosilauke - 6/7/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobH

Reaction score
This TR could also be titled "What happens when you don't know how to use a camera", but I digress... let me start from the beginning. Before the hike. During the week beforehand I had decided that I wanted to do a sunrise hike, and the forecast looked good. I picked a mountain (luck) that I figured would have a good view of the sunrise, and decided that the Moose would give good easterly views from an open summit. I chose Beaver Brook trail, just in case there were no views I would at least get some nice scenery on the way down. Did a little planning and figured if I left my place at midnight, I could get there around 2, and be on top around 4:30-5 for the sunrise.

With the plan set. I got my gear together and took a nap the night before at 8PM. Woke up and set out on a beautiful, clear night for the Beaver Brook TH. The skies developed a very light covering of high clouds. I was a bit concerned that this would harm the chances of a good sunrise, but I also knew that it could help as well. I wasn't too concerned.

I arrived around 2am as planned, and started off. I signed the register since I was hiking alone at night, then promptly got lost crossing the brook. Remembered that the trail I was taking never crossed a brook and retraced my steps back to the correct side and continued up. The hike in was very nice, I could hear the brook to my right the entire way through the steep part but couldn't see anything. As I neared the area of the shelter, where I had planned on taking a rest, I heard something LOUD in the thick scrub very close by to the left. I grunted back (who knows why?) but didn't hear anything else. It must have been a hilarious scene, me and whatever it was, frozen probably 10 feet away from each other. So I did what any normal person hiking alone at night that just heard a loud crash in the bushes next to them would have done--hauled ass for about 2 miles. Not taking this break ended up being a great decision, because I probably would have missed this:

I truly apologize for the quality of some these photos. Trust me, I wish they were better.

012.JPG

Blurry, but I don't recall ever having seen this color before in my entire life...
014.JPG

Success! (well, except for the picture quality)
005.JPG

Lenticular cloud over George is too perfect here.
016.JPG

Last edited:
Here's where the sun would be if there were no clouds (not a complaint!)
028.JPG

The path back down
003.JPG

Fog in the valley
024.JPG

Jobildunk Ravine (?)
033.JPG

One last look, thank you for a great morning Moose!
034.JPG

Mostly down the trail, looking towards Kinsman Notch
039.JPG

Back home in time for breakfast with the wife and kids. :)

Link to the album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/113151684718025230301/200967MoosilaukeSunriseHike#

Last edited:
Thanks Jay and bristlecone. It was a great experience to have Moosilauke to myself on such a fine spring morning.

Nice!

Just the fact that you're willing to make a trek like this to take pictures is a step in the right direction. The rest will come, and oh yeah, they're not as unworthy as you think, in fact, they're pretty nice!

KDT