swollen ankles persist for a week: could it be the boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&A

Reaction score
aside from the amazing memories of looking down over the adirondacks from 4500+ feet up, something else that remains with me is the terrible swelling in both of my ankles. It was only for two days, and I hiked about 12miles/day. The boots I use, Columbia Bugabootoo (something like this..bought them at a discount store for ~30$) fit well except I fell the need to excessively tighten them around the upper part of the boot for better support. Could this have cut off circulation and led to the swelling that I'm still experiencing a week later? Could I completely avoid this problem next time by wearing a pair of boots that does not come up so high or one that fits better around my leg? I feel like I tightened the laces, but it only had the effect of tightening the very top...contributing to the problem :confused:

well, at $30 you got a great price on nice winter boots, but they are described as "Winter boots built for moderate cold weather activities."
Some people can full-pack backpack all week in flip-flops, but I can't.
I need medium to heavy weight rated hiking boots, properly broken in with my in-sole and sock combo.
I'm not a boot or ankle expert, but swollen, painful ankles sounds like you sprained them over the course of your hike. This may have happened anyway but I'd start with the boots. My experience with boots that have a lot of support is that you DON'T need to tightened them to the breaking point to gain that support.

If I am correct, these boots have soft uppers and soft soles? Each step puts a strain on your feet and ankles. Some hikers may not notice a difference, but I personally could not hike in something like that. I'm not a doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :D , so I'd guess you strained some of the ligaments, etc. in your ankles.

I have a pair of bugabootoos but I can't use them for hiking because they come up too high on my ankles. I don't recall swelling but I would get horrible chafing on my ankles (or possibly lower calves near the tops of the boots... it's been a while since I hiked with them.) I find that lower cut boots worked better for me. Not sure if it's a similar issue or not but it sounds like it could be.

- Ivy

hahah yes, I know, I've never hiked 5 miles so quickly. I had no idea what I was getting myself into..just that Pinpin was the only person who had replied to my posts seeking a partner. It wasn't a bad time, but such a long approach caught me off guard. I think that perhaps ivy is right, about the height of the boot. My post was really just to confirm that this could be the case. I suppose I mischaracterized the symtpoms initially; the swelling isn't so much at the ankle-joint but the area right above my foot that I see as I look down at the ground. Like where the top lace gets tightened.

I don't think it's related to a ligament because both feet experience the same problem in the same location. Tomorrow I think I'll purchase a pair of Chilkats. Thanks everyone for the responses!

What kind of snowshoe are you using? My winter partner has had problems similiar to what you describe and thinks it may because of the way the strap on his Tubbs snowshoe lays across his foot. He has tried multiple boots with little success but switched to MSRs and hasn't had a problem on the last couple of hikes.

Rik said:
What kind of snowshoe are you using? My winter partner has had problems similiar to what you describe and thinks it may because of the way the strap on his Tubbs snowshoe lays across his foot. He has tried multiple boots with little success but switched to MSRs and hasn't had a problem on the last couple of hikes.

Yeah, it might have a lot to do with that too.
I have these atlas snowshoes http://www.snowshoecenter.com/pub/1222atlas.main.jpg

The binding is very odd. It works on a clipping system, the buckle has to clip onto the strap that loops through it. If anything (snow) pushes down on the buckle, it will unclip and the snowshoe unbinds. I do have problems with it

It has happened to me after some very long rough days - the kind that make your feet ache for days after. I think it's just the body's reaction to irritation - lymph rushing to the site of injury, or something like that.

Wore a similar pair of rented Atlas snowshoes last weekend for a twelve-mile hike up Sawteeth. Actually only had them on for the last eight miles, but the bindings affected my left ankle, which was swollen for a few days. I attributed it to the icy conditions, but it may have been the Atlases.

The ankle is fine now but I don't think I would buy Atlas. I want to try the MSR's next.

J&A said:
hahah yes, I know, I've never hiked 5 miles so quickly. I had no idea what I was getting myself into..just that Pinpin was the only person who had replied to my posts seeking a partner.
You didn't mention PinPin. :eek:
I think you did well, regardless of the discomfort !

Last edited:
I love my Columbia Bugabootoos

:) :) :) :) :) :)

If it's not real cold outside, it's what I usually wear for winter hiking nowadays... Sorel Quests if it's colder. After hiking a gadzillion miles in my old plastic double boots, I rarely wear 'em anymore; in fact, the only times I've had any real ankle issues/soreness have been the first few hikes of the winter season with those ridiculously heavy, wretched things. :mad: Perhaps if I were doing a "real," multi-day mountain--i.e. Rainier & the like--the plastics would make more sense, but I really love the Bugabootoos for the Whites. Even did a Presi Traverse in them on the final day of calendar winter last year, and they worked fine. :)

Last edited: