Tecumseh, 1/4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Like Trish (Tecumseh (again), January 3) I hike Tecumseh quite often. It is a short drive from home, and is an easy hike, something very important as the years go up and the fitness goes down :eek:

The forecast for Sunday called for minimal winds, but I could hear the wind when I woke up. I waited for it to drop, but by 10:30 decided that, wind or no wind, the time had come to hike. Lots of wind as I was getting my coffee from the Campton Dunkin Donuts. Fortunately there was much less wind at the trailhead.

Based on Trish's report I left my snowshoes at home, and put the microspikes on in the car. The trail below the ridge was in excellent condition; the microspikes were only useful for the first stream crossing (hard water ice) and for a few icy spots after the second stream crossing.

Between the outlook and the ridge I met Tom and Atticus coming down; as I had not seen them in a very long time I was delighted. Short chat, and I continued.

Along the ridge there were areas where there was quite a bit of drifted snow, but nothing that would have required snowshoes. The Sossman Trail seemed broken out in the direction of the outlooks.

The one unpleasant part was where the Sossman Trail swings around the west side of the summit cone. There was a lot of hard ice ... not really dangerous as most of it was flat, but enough to make me uncomfortable. All in all there may have been a hundred or so feet (horizontal!) of nasty stuff. The microspikes performed very well; I never felt my foot even start to slip. Stabilicers, of course, do not perform well on hard ice.

At the summit I met a couple who had just arrived, Islandside (Greg) and Sandi. They had come round the summit the other way (Mt. Tecumseh Trail all the way) and told me that they had plowed through some deep drifts.

I spent around fifteen minutes chatting and eating, then began to get cold (in spite of having put on all my layers) so I started down. The icy sections were (as often happens) easier the second time around, and soon I was descending the steep upper part of the trail. It is an absoltely delightful descent in winter, with the well packed snow covering all trace of rocks.

My times were, strangely, identical to Trish's; two hours up, 1:10 down.

Tecumseh's a great mountain, maybe I'm biased because it's such a close peak. Good to hear the snow hadn't drifted enough to need snowshoes, I would have felt very badly if, a day later, snowshoes were needed after all.

Nice to hear you had a good hike! Funny that our times were almost identical. Guess that means I'm not in such bad shape after all, if I can keep up with such an experienced hiker like yourself.

I too met Tom and Atticus that day! I was pulling into the ski parking lot to pick up my husband and Alex, who had been on the ski slopes all day. I saw Tom and Atticus walking back to their car and recognized them from their pictures...I followed them and said hello before continuing onward to pick up the rest of my family. It was nice to meet them. I'm bummed I didn't get to meet you as well, but I do hope to run into you in the future at some point!

Last edited:
What a pleasurable day on Tecumseh, always one of my favorites. (For some odd reason, I never think of it as 'just Tecumseh' but as a lovely mountain with much character.)

We had fine weather and it was great to see you, Mohamed. I am delighted to know I'm not the only one who utters four letter words on the uphills. For one who claims to be getting old, you sure do move right along as your time attests to! It was good to see you after far too long and I did pass your good greetings onto Steve Smith later that afternoon.

It was also nice to meet Trish but we were sorry not to encounter Alex. (Trish, you are one of the few people who can relate to what I go through and what it is like to be outdone by a diminutive hiking partner.)

An extra bonus was running into Greg and Sandi.

All in all a very nice day to be out and about.

Last edited:
It was a wonderful day on Tecumseh. The weather was fine, and the folks you meet on the trail are, as always, some of the best people in the world!

Sandi was very excited to finally meet Atticus, oh, and you too Tom!! We have been following the blog and were very concerned a few months ago when Atticus was attacked. Glad to see he was leaving us all behind again!

Mohammed;
I have always used your site any time I am planning a hike I have not done yet. Thanks for keeping a good informative web site.

We had a great trip in the Microspikes, the only trouble we had was taking the right-hand (counter clockwise) loop to the summit. There we encountered only boot prints and deep drifts at least up to out waist. Very surprising after being on hard packed trail the rest of the hike. We plowed through a few hundred feet and were soon on the summit.

Greg, what a nice shot of our two better halves! Love Sandi's smile in the shot but Atticus looks like an old stoic.

Sandi figured he was ready to get on with the hike up the mountain....she noticed he was much more willing to visit on the way back down!
First things first, he is a true White Mountaineer!