Temple Mountain, a new State Park?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrichard

Reaction score
The old Temple Mountain Ski area sign on NH Route 101 reads that there will be a meeting to determine if the area will become a new state park.

You can read about it on the nhstateparks website.

Any feelings about what this means for hiking?

Or if you have the inside track for NH politics, what's involved?

[In my area, there was a rash of conservation land purchases, but it died out last year. I have my doubts that this will go though.]

I participated in Trail Work on the Wapack where it zig-zags up one of the ski slopes on Temple. The trail work leaders met with current owner who was reported to be very interested in working and supportive with Friends of the Wapack. I thought the ski slope would be great slope for cross country skiing. It was not too steep and we passed by other slopes that looked steeper. Perhaps some of the uses might be what to do with old ski slopes? Whether to maintain them as open slopes for views and nordic or backcountry skiing or let succesion take it's course. More likely might be how to incorporate it into General Miller State Park that is just across the highway. Seems to me it would be logical to incorporate trails into the system on North and South Pack.

Great idea as a state forest, bad idea as a state park. Very limited opportunities for an investment from parks. I worked there once (Temple) and would watch the car accidents unfold almost every day. Vehicle safety issues already with Miller SP alone. We tried a 'convenience rest stop' at Temple in the summer of '98 (I think), the venture was a flop- so the idea of a visitor center is not well thought out. Camping next to route 101 does not sound very attractive, they should consider Pisgah for remote camping instead, as they are trying to figure how to turn a dime over there already. Aren't they already trying to build a new campground at Monadnock?

Andrew said:
Camping next to route 101 does not sound very attractive, they should consider Pisgah for remote camping instead, as they are trying to figure how to turn a dime over there already.
I suspect that if purchased as a park there would be no immediate development, perhaps it would be groomed for ski touring. Pisgah is not going to be attractive for backpackers until they solve the ATV and crime problems.
Aren't they already trying to build a new campground at Monadnock?
Aren't you the guy who should know? That's in the park plan but who knows when it will happen.

From the tone of the responses it seems like it might be a done deal, just a question of what sort of state entity to turn it into. Is that true?

I agree that traffic patterns are bad at Miller SP. But it's also bad all along that stretch of 101 (Dublin Lake, The Friendly Farm, The House By The Side of the Road, etc... are all scary to enter and exit).

I guess State Park vs town conservation land vs wildlife refuge differs only in degree for hikers. A State Park might ask us to pay a few bucks for an entry fee and could have more regulations (not necessarily a bad thing considering the proximity to the MA hoards). But otherwise, I don't find hiking in NH SPs much different than hiking in the WMNF.

Camping is a different story, as you point out. I agree it really isn't the place for a campground and I suspect that like Monadnock, they wouldn't be interested in letting folks camp at "ephemeral" sites.

If the State Parks dept is publicly proposing acquisition, they're serious enough to see it through. I didn't think they've got the money for those sorts of things...

I myself would prefer a state forest (less rules) but given the proximity to Miller SP, a state park (whether new or whether an expansion of Miller SP) probably makes sense. Just as long as someone protects the land.

Although if the state has $$$$, I'd rather they get going towards protecting the Mahoosucs. :(

arghman said:
Although if the state has $$$$, I'd rather they get going towards protecting the Mahoosucs. :(

I suspect (hope?) that the state park system is working on protecting areas that are under development pressure.

Personally, I think the Ossipee range could use protection, especially now that some of the range is owned by the LRWT. (Although I don't know who owns most of valley area... perhaps a logging company? It looks like it is logged. I assume they wouldn't pave it over.).

Is the Mahoosuc range under development pressure?