Thanksgiving Hikes?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
I wish I could get to the WMNF for Thanksgiving; one of these days I will.

I'm curious, do any of you VFTTers have a traditional Thanksgiving morning hike that you do before diving into the turkey dinner?

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Wish I could say that I did, but dinner is usually in the early afternoon and I want to help my parents prepare their home for their guests, usually about 15people. When I was a kid, though, we usually took a walk after dinner, before the pies, and hiked up to Candlestick, a nearby hilltop in Malden, Mass. I do plan to go for a neighborhood walk on Thursday with my son's dog. Black Friday is more likely a hiking day for me.

i have been hiking cranberry peak (bigelow range) on thanksgiving morning for the past 10 years.

a few years ago i was joined by arm. when we got to the top he surprised me and pulled out a few ice cold sierra nevada beers for us to enjoy. we sat on the summit for about half an hour giving thanks!

go

If I do not have too many chores a quick Welsh/Dickey loop is always nice. This year we will head to Rock’s tree farm Thanksgiving morning to sacrifice a tree to the Holiday gods before heading to CT.

i have been hiking cranberry peak (bigelow range) on thanksgiving morning for the past 10 years.

go

How apropos!

Wish I could go out in the morning, but I'm too busy in the kitchen starting from today until dinner tomorrow...have to save the hiking for Friday and Saturday.

My cousin and I would hike Watatic before the big meal. We did this for 14 years 'til I messed it up by moving south. He called last year from the top and we did our beer toast to our Grammy, we miss you, from a 1000 miles apart.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and God Bless, -brianW

Well, we did it. Went to the top of Pleasant Mt. and back. Now for the turkey!:D

Lauky checking out the views from the top.
010.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving

Nice photo Ed!!

The last several Thanksgivings I have done the rattlesnakes from Pinehurst Road..
This year I decided to mix it up a bit and instead picked up Season Pass at Bretton Woods and took a few runs..Variable conditons but overall pretty good..lots of coverage..it looks like another snow event will open up many more trails..

On the way home stopped at Cotton Mt in Holderness for a quick up and down...a few inches of crusty snow made the footing kind of nice..there were a couple of icy spots easily gotten around..

For general information...Road to the Cog plowed all the way as is the upper lot..
Mt Clinton Road open and looked passable with 4wd and clearance..3-6 inches of crusty snow..some ruts..

Able to drive to the Gale River and Garfield trailheads with only a little ice from 5 Corners..

Funny..there was quite a bit of snow in Holderness....93 was bare all the way past Lincoln..Reminded me of last year's snow belt that ran from Tamworth to Plymouth..

Hi ho Hi ho..it's off to eat I go....

I do the cooking at Christmas..for Thanksgiving..I bring the wine:)