That stinks!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
That stinks!

I wanted to get that line out of the way first ;)

I was struck by a letter printed in the latest AMC Outdoors (Oct. ’07, Toxic Soup). The mention of becoming chemically sensitive and it affecting hiking – the writer stating “is problematic due to the large number of people who actually wear chemical perfumes and body care products while hiking” - hit home to me as I have found myself dealing with the same issue more and more in recent years. I know people are sensitive to different things and their body’s reaction is different also.

For me the offending scents either immediately burn in my nostrils or I begin to taste them on my tongue. If I continue exposed to something I will get sores in my mouth and have also had my throat glands swell. So obviously, I react quite quickly by trying to get away from the scent but it is not always as easy as it may seem. For example when crossing paths with someone(s) with an offending scent, it isn’t just there as you pass but it’s like walking into a cloud of it, sometimes for a long way, down the trail; or coming up behind others I can often smell them long before seeing them.

On the trail I have found that perfumes, colognes, powders, deodorants, sunscreens, bug repellants, hair products, soaps, etc., are sometimes even more problematic because of the person’s body heat. Even water repellant products and boot treatments give off odors. But not all scents are a bother to me and the heightened sense of smell is sometimes nice when you pick up odors in the wild – the only natural one so far that is bad is skunk!

My worst experience was just before starting a hike one fine day. I entered the restroom at Lincoln Woods just as several women were exiting. While inside I could hear them outside the door chatting and laughing and as I exited I was sprayed in the face with bug repellant which they were all liberally applying to themselves right in front of the door! :eek: Now while that would have probably annoyed most anyone it would have created more of a problem for me if I could not get it off my clothes – you see one time I encountered a friend whom I had not seen in a while and she gave me a big bear hug. She must have had some kind of powder on as the scent lingered on my clothes enough that I had to get out of them as soon as possible (fortunately I was nearer home than I would have been at Lincoln Woods.)

This is getting long but I am interested in whether others here are affected by scents. If not do you consider it when using scented products? If not will you consider it now?

This weekend while hiking up the Hunt Trail on Mt. Katahdin I was following a couple of women who must have bathed in perfume. It reminded me of Midnight mass at Christmas. I had to double my speed so I could get in front of them as quickly as possible. The scent stayed with me for about a half hour. The thing that surprised me the most about hiking Katahdin was what most of the hikers were wearing. Jeans seem to be the uniform of the day with an occasional pair of pajamas thrown in for good measure. I followed this one girl down who was wearing sneakers and watched her twist her ankle three times. Sorry Carole I didn’t mean to highjack the thread. I too am sensitive to perfumes and heavy bug spray.

I have never been offended by the chemical / artificial smell of a hiker. Maybe by their natural smell. I am certain I've offended more folks than have offended me, in the BO department.

I have, however, been annoyed by co-workers and their perfume. Not often, as I am a software engineer, and there aren't a lot of women in that industry. The ones who are don't tend to wear perfume.

I'm curious what the specific hiking angle is here? I haven't read the article.

Tim

Wow! While I sympathize with carole's extreme sensitivity to these things, the last place it would bother me is in the backcountry. There's generally lots of room to just move away from the offending smell, unlike enclosed public places. :confused:

The only scent that really bothers me is perfume. Some women smell like they bathed in the stuff. It gives me a headache and makes me want to vomit. I'm not a big fan of cologne either. My nose isn't very sensative, but after a few days on the trail I notice a lot more artificial scents (deodorant, shampoo, laundry detergents) on people.

you can always smell a goofer they plow on the bug dope before they even leave the parking lot, even when the bugs are not OUT.

I was on Chocorua sunday, and lemme tell ya those **** college girls are TERRIBLE with perfume !! They think they'll meet guys maybe ?? No one ever told her hikers are not attractive ?? (The good looking ones are hanging in the woods ;) )

Nothing says I love hiking like the thermally induced stenched from the back panel of your pack. Who needs to skip a shower to stink when you can have that for just a few hours of exertion? :)
Damon

timmus said:
I was on Chocorua sunday, and lemme tell ya those **** college girls are TERRIBLE with perfume !! )

I was going up Hunt Trail on Katahdin on Saturday and ran into a group of Colby girls coming down. Aside from the skimpy outfits that had the come hither look, they all wore makeup and perfume. It would have been interesting if they hadn’t turned around how they would have fared up top where the weather was 25 to 30 knot winds and temps in the 20’s.

timmus said:
I was on Chocorua sunday, and lemme tell ya those **** college girls are TERRIBLE with perfume !! They think they'll meet guys maybe ?? No one ever told her hikers are not attractive ?? (The good looking ones are hanging in the woods ;) )

Did any of them tell you where they were hiking next? A friend of mine wants to know. (My nephew's brother's uncle)
:eek:

I use very few products, only soap and deoderant. These are unscented. I view smell the same way as noise; the less the better, because I want to see as much wildlife as possible.

I wash my hiking clothes and pack with baking soda and a tiny bit of unscented detergant. I only used about 3 or 4 oz. of bug dope this summer.

I sympathize, Carole!

Happy Trails :)

This reminds me of a bit I heard years ago on NPR about a town in MA that segregated the audience for town meetings by scent - those who wore it, those who could tolerate it, and those who wanted nothing to do with it. I'm sorry to say, Carole, that I considered the story somewhat of a joke at the time. Your post makes me realize just how important this issue is for some people.

Hi Carole,

I also have sensitivity to perfumes and dyes, but not nearly as bad as you do. Wow, that has to be tough.

Also, in the workplace I used to find it much harder to take, never really had a problem in the backcountry. (At L.L.Bean it is against company policy to wear scented products, I am NOT making that up.)

Years and years ago I was working in a fabric store, this cute little old lady, like mabe 85 or so was shopping and asked me a question. After about 3 words I keeled over and passed out. Um, a bit heavy on the perfume...

I can't wear anything with a scent, wash with much of anything or wear make-up etc... Most laundry soaps make me break out in a rash.

But, hum, what to do about hiking with or running into someone in the backcountry... tough call.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. My reaction to offending scents is quick enough that I rarely get extended exposure and I’ve learned what to generally avoid. I am aware of others that have similar sensitivity but don’t see too much mention of it so that’s why I appreciated the AMC magazine printing the letter. Air pollution is out there and sadly it’s on the trails too.