The 10 essentials (Ocean Kayaking)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for letting me bend that rescue thread a little.

Now the next logical question I would have is:

What should a properly equipped ocean going kayak have?

Noting that equipment never supersedes knowledge there still is probably a ten essentials list or equivalent for ocean kayak paddling.

I would love to hear your lists.

Keith

my 10 essentials, in no particular order:

pfd (kinda goes without saying, but wonders never cease)
extra paddle (watched two young ladies in a tandem SOT get rescued by the CG this past weekend cause they both lost their paddles)
paddle float
bilge pump
marine radio
tow belt
whistle and / or other signal device
light
food
water

I'll probably forget something, but here goes:

PFD

Strapped to the PFD and tucked into it's pockets are:
- one of those super loud two tone marine whistles
- locator strobe light
- couple of hand launched pull type flares

Deck compass - fog can roll in off the ocean faster than you think

Paddle float

Pump

Spare paddle (1 per group)

Marine band radio (depending on the degree of the planned paddle)

Food, water (duh)

In a dry bag I will bring a beach towel and clothes as reqd

I usually shove my gore-tex paddle jacket in a hatch

Sunglasses with chubs so you dont lose them

Suntan lotion, spf lip stuff

I'll admit that where I fall short is not having a real tow line. Every year I say I am going to get one and I never do. We have made do in the past by jury rigging bow lines etc. But I really should have a tow line.

I should probably carry a knife too, but I only do if I am fishing.

OK, what did I forget?

- darren

ps: now that I think of it I guess it would be smart to have a small medical kit in tupperware and just leave it in the boat. Not sure why I've never done that. I carry that stuff when I hike. hmmmm....

Certainly helps one from losing it, but it's one more thing you can get tangled in...

I usually do and I'll take a spare paddle even not necessarily on "ocean trips". I've been bringing one on my hudson river paddling..

Jay

I throw in a small sponge to get water that you can't get with a pump...

My VHF radio doubles as a am/fm radio as it has that to pass the time when I'm solo... :)

Jay

Do the experienced paddlers consider teathering the paddle to your wrist a good idea or a bad one?

We have modest experience but speak from the experience of having lost an expensive carbon paddle.

I would tether it to the boat, not the wrist. And, be very selective in choosing an appropriate lanyard. There are some that I could just envision tangling up and contributing to a general frenzy on deck, and that's before you have a loose paddle.

I would never tether it to my wrist. It could tangle up a wet exit or just get in your way in the normal course of a paddle.

We have modest experience but speak from the experience of having lost an expensive carbon paddle.

I would tether it to the boat, not the wrist. And, be very selective in choosing an appropriate lanyard. There are some that I could just envision tangling up and contributing to a general frenzy on deck, and that's before you have a loose paddle.

I would never tether it to my wrist. It could tangle up a wet exit or just get in your way in the normal course of a paddle.

Oh yeah, true, I didn't notice that. I have my paddle tethered to my kayak, not my wrist! Good point Stan. :)

Jay

I also tether my paddle to the boat. Carry all of the above gear. I also take my spray skirt along. Honestly, when its warm, I do not use it. In cooler weather I will also carry my shorti wet suit and dry top along with extra clothes in a dry bag. Oh yeah, take a widr brimmed hat.

SOLAS tape on your paddles and boat improves visibility.

A biner on the end of skirt grab loop makes it easier to do a wet exit.

Stretching it a little to cover more than equipment....

Essential is knowledge of the what the tides and wind are going to do your boat, which means you have got times, weather, and a chart which shows peak water velocities. (3-4 mph ebb and flood on the Hudson River, who wulda' figured- or low tide means a 1/2 mile mud walk to get back to the car)

Essential is a float plan to aid SAR if you don't come home.

Essential is knowledge of how to contact CG or police (channels and procedures, knowing your position, asking another boat to relay your message)

Last edited:
Oh snap. I knew I was forgetting something.

:D

- darren

ps: oh yah...one thing goes without saying, but I guess if you are new to ocean kayaking, then maybe it needs to be said. You need to check a tide chart and plan accordingly. Better to go with a current than end up trying to make headway against a 5 knot tidal currrent. Tide levels also dictates where can you can put in / out.