The Big Void

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Took this trip a few years ago, but you can pretend it's new :)
Plus, it's mud season, and we're sorely lacking trip reports.

Who: Five of us
What: Five day backpacking trip
Where: Grand Canyon (starting at Grandview Point and ending at Bright Angel Trail on the South Rim)
When: April 5th thru 9th
Why: Because it's not there

Day 0: Day before starting hike, we bought last minute supplies such as cooking fuel. We visited the Backcountry Office to get info on how the creeks were running; this is vital info as the distances between water sources for our route ranged two to eight miles from each other. And then we drove out to the Grandview trailhead (our starting point) to see how much snow/ice was on the trail; luckily it was minimal, so we wouldn't need crampons or any other type of traction.
Day 1: Grandview trailhead to Horseshoe Mesa to Cottonwood Creek (~3500 ft elevation loss)
Day 2: Cottonwood Creek to Grapevine Canyon (minimal net elevation gain/loss)
Day 3: Grapevine Canyon to Lonetree Canyon (minimal net elevation gain/loss)
Day 4: Lonetree Canyon to Bright Angel Campground at the bottom of the canyon (~1500 ft elevation loss)
Day 5: Bright Angel Campground to Plateau Point to Bright Angel trailhead (~4800 ft elevation gain)

Overall hiking distance was about 35 miles, plus the 3 mile side trip to Plateau Point on day 5.

Perfect weather all five days. Clear blue skies. Nights ranged from high 30s to low 50s. Days ranged from 60s to 80s. The deeper into the canyon you go, the hotter it gets. First three and a half days we saw a total of about 20 people. Last day and a half we were on the hiking highways (South Kaibab Trail and Bright Angel Trail), so we saw probably a couple hundred people.

First day, hiking down Grandview Trail. We would camp that night at Cottonwood Creek, which is the long thin trench seen left of center in this photo.
IMG3558edited-1-L.jpg

Sunset view from our first night's campsite, looking up at the western wall of Horseshoe Mesa. Every night we would enjoy clear skies, a full moon, and lots of bullfrogs.
IMG3601edited-1-L.jpg

Second day, John hiking along the enormous never-ending Tonto Platform.
IMG3607edited-1-L.jpg

Second night's campsite in Grapevine Canyon. After setting up camp, I scrambled up a hill to get a good view of the area. Our tents are the tiny blue and green dots toward the lower left corner.
IMG3661edited-1-L.jpg

It's hard to describe the vastness and beauty of Grapevine Canyon, which is a side canyon of the main canyon. I think if it wasn't located in Grand Canyon it could be its own national park. But then again it's about one and a half days of hiking to get there, so maybe not. The tiny little green inverted triangle in the extreme bottom right of the photo is the Colorado River, about 1500 feet below the Tonto Platform.
IMG3706edited-1-L.jpg

Baa...Baa
IMG3711insertedited-2-L.jpg

I'm so stressed out.
IMG3743edited-1-L.jpg

Hitting the trail early on day 4.
IMG3780edited-1-L.jpg

Continued...

I remember saying something like, "Hey John, wouldn't it be cool to get a picture of someone sitting on that little ledge, looking over the drop-off?" And before I finished the sentence, there he was. Hey, nobody ever said software engineers are bright.
IMG3840edited-1-L.jpg

John should be paying me for all these photos of him. For a sense of scale, the bridge ("above" John in the photo) is 440 feet long.
IMG3862edited-1-L.jpg

The sun (and its shadows) had long since left the bottom of the canyon. This photo was a 5-second exposure. Not easy sitting still for that long, and the wind was beating up on my cheap Best Buy tripod.
IMG3924edited-1-L.jpg

Beautiful early morning light. On this final day, we would hike from river-to-rim on the Bright Angel Trail, plus a totally worth it 3-mile side trip to Plateau Point. Lynn can be seen below center of the photo, and Rob is barely visible farther up the trail passing through what looks like a tiny opening in the rocks.
IMG3941edited-1-L.jpg

Side trip to Plateau Point...part 1
IMG3967edited-1-L.jpg

Side trip to Plateau Point...part 2
IMG3970edited-1-L.jpg

Almost at the top, looking back at our final day's hike. Note the flat trail at dead-center (beyond the stand of trees) heading away from you, and then the trail just ends...that "end" is Plateau Point.
IMG3991edited-1-L.jpg

I took a taxi back to Grandview Point to retrieve our car. I knew I'd be getting there around sunset, so I took my camera along, and was rewarded with some of the prettiest, most delicate light I've ever seen.
IMG4003edited-1-L.jpg

If you haven't yet collapsed from boredom (but would like to), here's a link to all the photos

Last edited:
Your first photo was the first one I've ever seen that made me think I might like to go there. The rest followed along the same pleasant path. Thanks for sharing.