The Bonds, Feb 27th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnL

Reaction score
Four of us gathered and put our ski gear together at the Lincoln Woods parking area a few minutes before 7:00 as Hal set out on a walk and we would catch up with him along the trail. We set off with the conditions quite good and we prattled on about anything that came to mind as we skied three abreast, with Giff skiing ahead to track down Hal. Eventually we spread out at our own paces and I brought up the rear. At 8:30 I arrived at the Bondcliff Trail and headed up to find Giff’s skis stashed next to a tree where I decided to drop my skis and boots. A hundred yards up the trail I met up with the rest of the crew.

We barebooted up the trail which was tracked out quite well but was not fully consolidated, resulting in a few slips and post holes but nonetheless, good conditions prevailed. We made good progress and we paused only to stare out at the opening vistas towards Carrigain Notch and to take on or drop off a quick drink. We could hear the wind roaring above our heads and we knew we were going to be in for it as we reached the exposed areas. We stopped to layer up for the wind just where the trail pops out of the trees near the summit of Bondcliff. We were soon into it and at 11:00 sharp we topped out and were standing on Bondcliff. We paused for some photos and a quick drink before heading off into the wind.

As we got off the summit area and started heading down and towards Mt Bond, the full force of the wind struck us. We were buffeted around, nearly being knocked over several times, as we staggered around like a bunch of drunks after exiting the bar after last call. Several times I tested the wind strength by leaning as far forward as I could but the wind kept blowing me over backward. We estimated the winds to be over 50mph and it was all we could do to keep our balance, especially when we changed direction on the trail. Several times I lifted a leg to plant my foot in a specific place only to have the wind push my foot to a place of its own choosing, not necessarily in a very good spot. We carried on the struggle until the scrub trees came to our rescue and we could find some temporary shelter amongst the trees before continuing on to the summit. It took us nearly an hour to cover the stretch from Bondcliff to Mt Bond and we were all pretty battered form our fight with the wind. The windblown summit was no place to linger so we shook hands and headed off down the trail towards West Bond.

When we reached some shelter we took stock of our conditions and we agreed that we would stop for a food break before we headed up West Bond. The trail was tracked out but it was not well consolidated due to drifts and considerable soft snow. None of us seemed to want to bother with putting on snowshoes, knowing that they would be a liability in the stiff winds on the return. The panoramic views of Garfield, South Twin, Zeacliff and on towards the Presidential opened up in front of us as we moved ahead. Soon we came to the West Bond Spur junction where we grabbed a bite to eat and caught up on our normal breathing. We left our packs at the trail junction as we made our way towards West Bond. Just as we were breaking out of the trees, we could hear the wind howling above us and I was able to snap off a couple frames as the guys fought the winds to get on the summit. As I topped out, I joined the others behind the cairn which provided wonderful shelter from the wind. We stayed here for about five minutes and I stashed a chocolate present in the cairn for Michelle and NeighborDave, as I knew they were headed this way the next day.

We headed down and I snapped off a shot of the group fighting the wind as they escaped the summit and hustled for the shelter of the trees. We soon made our way back to our packs but not before I was knocked to my knees by a low hanging branch that I did not see. Being the tallest of the group I was more susceptible to these dangers than the others. I was fortunate only to get a small bump on my forehead for my inattention.

We gathered our packs and made our way to Mt Bond again only to find that the winds had considerably abated and we could stand around on the summit area in relative peace. A few minutes later we stopped for a proper lunch in a sunlit sheltered spot overlooking Bondcliff. We then donned face masks and goggles for the second round with the wind. This time the winds had died down but they were still a force to not take lightly. Getting blown off track while going downhill in tricky footing was another test that we got through unscathed. On our way over to Bondcliff, Mike spotted several hikers on the summit of Bondcliff but by the time we arrived they had headed back. After a last look around from Bondcliff’s summit, we headed down and removed all our wind gear before entering the woods. It was about 2:30 and we knew we had plenty of daylight left to get down.

We started down with bare boots but soon switched to snowshoes as the snow had softened up considerably. We met one couple just below Bondcliff’s summit and passed another group on their way down (the group we saw on Bondcliff’s summit) as we cruised down the trail, reaching our skis just before 4:00. We each took off at our own pace with Hal walking ahead as we changed boots and skis. When I got down to the Wilderness Trail junction, Rick was there waiting for me. We skied together at a leisurely pace (the fastest pace I could muster) until we caught up with Hal and Mike at the junction of the Osseo Trail. I skied ahead as I just wanted to get back to the car as fast as I could, which was not much faster than Hal was walking, but it was something. So I went ahead, soon engulfed in my own private Idaho, until I saw Giff standing at the far end of the suspension bridge. I managed my best snowplow on the slight slope heading down to the bridge, hoping I could keep a straight line so I would not go tumbling off the ledge at either side of the bridge. I made the bridge dead center and I met Giff at the other end where he assisted me with my skis. We walked back to the car together. It was 5:15 and I was spent. Five minutes later the rest of the group showed up and we spent some time getting our gear stowed and changing into clean cotton shirts. Aaaaaahhh! We were all absolutely elated for the way the day had gone. We covered a lot of ground, saw some spectacular sights in the Pemi today, and even had a demanding fight with the winds along the way. Combined with the camaraderie of a great bunch of guys, we could not have had a better time. I spend the next two and a half hours driving home, dreaming of a hot shower and a cold beer.

Here are some photos of the day's hike.

JohnL

Great trip report John! I love the pictures, what a clear day! Saturday was just as beautiful, but clouds covered the Presi's during our hike.

Thank you so much for the Hershey bars! We ate one of them before we even got back to our packs at the spur cutoff! You are too thoughtful!

Michelle, post'rboy,

Well, in some small way I was with you guys. So glad you had such a nice day and nice company. A smile at the end of the day makes up for all the effort you've put into your quest.

JohnL

Great report John, and cool pictures (I loved the pic of the Bondcliff Ridge). The Bonds are always beautiful, especially in winter. Nice job leaving a treat for Michelle (she certainly earned one!). Way to go Michelle!

dear JohnL,
Did you a. find any artifacts (water bottles, food, wrappers, tent materials) that might have belonged to my friend who died in that area 6 weeks ago?

b. get a sense regarding where he might have camped on Bond; I couldn't find any place that was protected from the wind.

c. given the high wind speeds, could you imagine why it may have been so hard to travel the 2.5 miles from Bond, North Bond, or perhaps Guyot to just below the summot of South Twin?

Any insights from your recent experience would be greatly apprecied.
Dave Targan
Mountain Patrol Ranger
Monadnock State Park
Jaffrey, NH 03452

Dave,

I’m sorry that we cannot be of much help in regard to information about your friend, Ken Holmes. We did not see any of the articles you mentioned. I can, however, give you my impressions and opinions concerning your questions b) and c) above.

Given that he was camped below the summit of Mt Bond, I am assuming that he was at the Guyot campsite which is about a half mile or so below Mt Bond’s summit. We hiked in from the south and we went only as far north as the West Bond spur, which is still on the uphill side of Mt Bond from the Guyot campsite trail spur. Ken, if he headed directly north toward the Twinway and South Twin, would not have crossed our path. If he did not camp at Guyot, then there were some spots along the trail between Mt Bond and the open areas around Mt Guyot where he could have been relatively sheltered from the wind, depending upon its direction and speed. The junction of the Bondcliff trail with the West Bond spur trail is quite sheltered and we stood there for at least ten minutes having lunch while the wind howled overhead. It would have been a matter of finding a relatively flat and sheltered place in amongst the spruce. The section of trail between Mt Bond and the West Bond spur was considerably drifted as well so any article of his may still be under the snow’s surface.

When we crossed between Bondcliff and Mt Bond, the winds were above 50mph from the NNW and we struggled with keeping a steady pace or even our footing in the exposed sections of the trail. The summit of Mt Bond and the areas directly below it to the north were exposed to the winds but within a quarter mile we were in sheltered areas. The exposed areas near and on Mt Guyot would have been a bear to negotiate in the kind of winds we saw and the temperatures for us were probably 50 to 60 degrees warmer than Ken was experiencing. I think the wind would have sapped a lot of his strength and if he did not have his wind pants on, his legs could have gotten cold and stiff. He would have gained some shelter once dropping down north of the Twinway junction but would have been hit head on near the summit of South Twin. I’ve been up there in winds above 30mph with single digit temps and it was all we could do to tag the summit and bail out. From South Twin to the NNW it’s a straight shot to Hudson Bay, so he would have felt as if the whole of the Arctic was descending upon him. For at least a quarter mile down toward the Hut, you are quite exposed to the winds. It’s a tough place to be in bad conditions.

Hope this helps.

JohnL