The Doubleheads (Jackson, NH): 18-Dec-2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
It's easy to understand why the Doubleheads in Jackson, NH are so named. They appear as a "double-headed" mountain regardless of whether you're viewing them from a distant mountaintop, or from an up-close location such the Black Mountain Ski area as shown in the photo below.
P1030487.JPG

I did the loop hike over South and North Doublehead which involves starting at the trailhead off Dundee Road in Jackson, NH, and then hiking the Doublehead Ski Trail plus the Old Path and the New Path. Although this loop is just shy of 4 miles, there's nearly 1,800 ft of elevation gain. So, although the mileage is relatively short, it provides a pretty good workout!

For me, the highlight of this hike is the view of the Carter Notch, as shown below in the slightly zoomed photo.
P1030461.JPG

Also, the view toward the Presidential Range is pretty nice as well.
P1030462.JPG

North Doublehead provides some interesting views to the east. I especially like the close-up view of Mountain Pond.
P1030481.JPG

It's been a number of years since I've done this loop hike, and I felt the need to repeat it. I was happy that I did. It fit my available time frame for hiking, and with the rather "generous" elevation gain, it provided a workout on par with a much longer hike!:)

1HappyHiker

Nice shots! Love the zoom in of Carter Notch

yeah, that is a great shot of carter notch. i'll have to get up doubletop someday. i know some people (particularly lonely male carter notch caretakers) have used a much more anatomical name for doubletop especially as it is viewed from the carter notch area. sounds like a great short hike.
thanks for posting the pictures.

bryan

Thanks Bobby and Bryan for your replies.

Although I forgot to mention it in my report, I think most VFTT folks are already aware of the 8-person Doublehead Cabin that can be rented (click HERE for details). It's located on North Doublehead at the top of the Doublehead Ski Trail.

P1030485.JPG

The Doubleheads are a loop I have wanted to do for quite a while. Every time I look at them from a distance I keep reminding myself I need to go there, yet with the "too much to do with too little time" issue we all deal with they have gone un hiked. I knew there was some good views from there, but that look into Carter Notch is extremly interesting! Thanks John!

Brian

I have been eyeing those peaks on the map all summer, and after seeing them from Wildcat and reading about the views in the trail book I added them to the "sometime soon list". Thanks for the report and great pics! I am now going to plan on these for the spring!