The Future of Telemark is now

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Link to NTN

This is a HUGE thing in the tele world. Assuming the bindings are solid, they will catch on and older boots will fade from the market. I'm looking at new skis for next season, and I've thought about replacing my 6 year old plastic boots, so it looks like it's going to be an expensive year.

-dave-

From a skeptical perspective, this might not be the next best thing for skiers even if it demonstrates great market research. Not everyone (me, for example) is convinced of the benefits of the NTN system. There are some drawbacks and things left undescribed.

Dave, since the system won't be in the US until 2007/2008 (announcement today didn't change the concept, but said they'd be released one year later than the last press release did), you might want to get new boots anyway and let them work out their initial bugs. Remember the first-gen BD 02s?

el-bagr said:
Dave, since the system won't be in the US until 2007/2008 (announcement today didn't change the concept, but said they'd be released one year later than the last press release did), you might want to get new boots anyway and let them work out their initial bugs. Remember the first-gen BD 02s?
I can live with my Veloces for a while yet. But I will probably buy a new releasable binding for my new skis.

I was kinda pushing things a big, I'd never buy a new binding, let alone a new boot/binding system in the first year.

-dave-

alpinista said:
I still miss the old leather boots and three-pin binding. :(
They're stll out there, and probably will be for some time. The NTN system doesn't seem like it will be ideal for touring, and regular 3-pins will be with us for some time. There's no concensus that this binding is right one, although nearly everyone agrees that it's time to get rid of the duckbill.

-dave-

Unclear

Maybe I missed it in the Telemarktalk article. Will these new bindings still work with older 3-pin boots or do will you need to buy a whole new boot-binding system.

I have 3 pairs of very serviceable boots (1 leather, 2 plastic) and am not about to invest in a 4th pair. I think that would be the case with alot of other three pinners.

These new bindings also appear to be aimed more towards lift served tele skiing, rather then backcountry skiing. Tele binding history is replete with cases of the latest and greatest new binding coming on to market only to find out it breaks down in the backcountry.

I'm sticking with my Voile Classic Cables for now!!!

These bindings will not be compatible with existing 75mm duckbill boots.

I, for one, like the duckbills. Maybe I'm a traditionalist (after all, I'm still using leather lowtops and skinny skis when appropriate), but moving toward an alpine-touring style feel is not what I want. Having used duckbills all my life, there's a sweet feel to good telemark boot/bindings that I really enjoy, even if AT folks have a speed advantage on steep uphills.

Jake, I agree that the NTN makes more sense for lift-served telemark, the fastest-growing sector of telemarking. For various reasons, AT continues (remember Ramers?) to make huge inroads in the US backcountry sector and is even more popular abroad. Though I greatly enjoy using heavy telemark equipment that lets me do stuff I'd be less inclined to do on pins (e.g. racing, 15' drops to hardpack), I like having the freedom to use those same big boots on skinny bc tourers when I feel like it.

Innovation is good. I look forward to trying the NTN concept, though I'm glad I have a full 75mm quiver.

Interesting....These are out now and have been for a few seasons and are made right here in the good 'ol US of A. Striking similarities...I dont think there is any talk of release capabilities, but you don't have to change your boots.

Big difference with the telebulldog is that it's a specialized 3-pin design. Concept is that it holds the forefoot down through the duckbill and toebox. NTN boots, by contrast, have no duckbill (makes for easier frontpointing) and are held down by pincers at toe and ball-of-foot.

Telebulldog is surprisingly good at holding down the ball-of-foot -- compared to sloppy 3-pins, it makes touring more difficult (but gives stiffer downhill performance).

NTN has been in the works for years, and it's exciting to see it finally coming out of the labratory. It should vastly improve the ability to get more people into the sport at lift-serviced areas. And, it should vastly improved my ability to get duckbill boots and bindings cheaply!!! Hooray for NTN!!! :D :D