The SUMMER flower thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassiope hypnoides (moss plant) -- one of the most infrequent of the alpine heaths in the White Mountains (Cassiope is probably runner-up to Arctostaphylos alpina in that regard, with Phyllodoce caerulea taking 3rd place) and one of the most inconspicuous when not in bloom. Foliage looks similar to clubmosses or crowberries, but this tends to retain 5-parted seed capsules which is practically a dead giveaway it's a heath. Blooms towards end of June, beginning of July.

Veronica wormskjoldii (alpine speedwell) -- found in upper portions of ravines where the terrain is steep and moist. Related to those pesky garden speedwells + has similarly shaped bluish flowers. Note fuzziness on stem & leaves. I've only seen this in a few sites and in very small numbers; if you see it somewhere in the Whites where there are not a lot of people passing through, please report to NH Natural Heritage (see the link in my signature -- no, I don't work there).

Any one know if this is 'silverling'?

Unsure of this also - type of 'lobelia'?
(edited to say a google of wild thyme fits the bill - thanks to those below who helped ID it :) )

Last edited:
carole said:
Any one know if this is 'silverling'?
yes, Paronychia argyrocoma. good find. If not at a commonly-visited location, please consider contacting NH Natural Heritage Bureau

Unsure of this also - type of 'lobelia'?
Hmm. Definitely looks like a mint, I'm not sure which though. Might be prunella (Prunella vulgaris)

arghman said:
Hmm. Definitely looks like a mint, I'm not sure which though. Might be prunella (Prunella vulgaris)
No, I take that back, the flowers look different (don't have that hood) -- you wouldn't happen to have a closeup, would you? But it definitely looks like a mint. (did it smell minty? that may help narrow it down)

I don't recall a mint smell. They are very small as compared to the creeper leaves and the leaves appear to be opposite and whorled perhaps. This is as large as webshots allows but the leaves don't seem to be mint.

carole said:
I don't recall a mint smell. They are very small as compared to the creeper leaves and the leaves appear to be opposite and whorled perhaps. This is as large as webshots allows but the leaves don't seem to be mint.
clarification: I meant mint family (Lamiaceae) -- characteristics are square stems, opposite leaves, bilateral symmetry flowers, often aromatic (e.g. mint, oregano, basil, sage, lavender, thyme). If you have larger resolution photos that won't fit on webshots, try cropping a portion of one of the more zoomed-in photos (the first one you posted) at full resolution -- flower structure / leaves / etc. are helpful.

My best guess at this point would be some kind of Thymus (thyme) species. If you are back in the area & crush the leaves they should be nicely aromatic & smell like thyme or oregano. Otherwise another garden escape, maybe Galoeopsis tetrahit or Stachys sp. or Ajuga sp. or something. If you match it to one of the Pycnanthemum species, those are rare in NH.

Carole's second picture definitely looks like the thyme in my yard (southern ADKs) mixed in with wild yarrow leaves and five-leaved ivy. The thyme does not have the square stem that is characteristic of the mint family.

Pat T

Haven't posted any in a while...

I've been stuck around the house for a week so most of these are near where I live in southern NH. The Water and Pond Lily are from my "backyard", the Powow River.

waterlily.jpg

Fragrant Water Lily "White Water Lily" Nymphaea odorata .

pondlily.jpg

Yellow Pond Lily "Spatter Dock" "Cow Lily" Nuphar lutea.

And along the river.

indianpipes.jpg

Indian Pipes Monotropa uniflora.

At Lion's Mouth Farm in Amesbury, Massachusetts.

clover.jpg

Red Clover Trifolium pratense. and Clouded Sulphur (Butterfly) Colias philodice.

queenanneslace.jpg

Queen Anne's Lace (Wild Carrot) Daucus carota.

pinks.jpg

Maiden Pink Dianthus deltoides.

butterfly.jpg

Silver-Bordered Fritillary Boloria selene. (Flying Flower) :)

KDT

Philbrick-Criscenti Bog flowers

I was on vacation last week, and we took a day trip to the Philbrick-Criscenti Bog. It was a pretty cool trip, with travel restricted to the boardwalk / bog bridges / puncheons (take your pick.) Not recommended for little kids and considered unsafe for dogs. It was a nice way to spend an hour+. I found the flora to be the most interesting part. I could use some help with some of these.

Pitcher plants

Pitcher plant close-up (what kind?)

HELP!

HELP!

Bog Rosemary

Tim

Last edited:
Ah -- you ran into some orchids. I've never been there to catch those.
bikehikeskifish said:
Calopogon tuberosus (grass pink)
Platanthera blephariglottis (white-fringed orchid), I think -- I'm not good w/ IDing most of the native orchids.

The pitcher plant would be Sarracenia purpurea which is the only native pitcher plant in New England.

Last edited:
Danielle said:
Snowman and I were out on a 3-day backpack on the AT this past Sunday through Tuesday, hiking north from Caratunk to Monson. We saw lots of bunchberries with beautiful red berries, blue beads turning blue, a few wood sorrel, Indian Pipe, lots of blueberries as well as the following two plants, which I can't identify. Anyone have any ideas?

Atop Moxie Bald Mountain in an old burn area. Beautiful spot!

Seen near a stream. Beautiful red berries.

Looks like elderberry (first picture) and rose twisted stalk (second picture).

Danielle said:
Aralia hispida (bristly sarsparilla) -- likes sunny + dry/rocky sites.
Streptopus latifolius (rose twisted-stalk) -- at least, I'm pretty sure, can't quite tell from your photo. Can be distinguished from S. amplexifolius by the way the leaves join to the stem. If the leaves just touch the stem (sessile), you have S. latifolius. If they are clasping, you have S. amplexifolius, which also has a kink in the flower/berry stem & I think the berries are more orangey.