The SUMMER flower thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whazzat?

whazzat.jpg

I found this in southern NH. The stems look a lot like Indian pipe. The "fruit" is hard and pink with 10 or 12 withered-looking "petals" around it. I checked a web page on saprophytes and couldn't find anything that looked like it.

Bob Kittredge said:
I found this in southern NH. The stems look a lot like Indian pipe. The "fruit" is hard and pink with 10 or 12 withered-looking "petals" around it. I checked a web page on saprophytes and couldn't find anything that looked like it.
It is Indian pipe. This is what they do as they age. The flower turns upright and the whole thing will turn brown and hard and can last until next year.
I posted a similar pic here

I was at Maidstone State Park this weekend and saw some interesting things.....

turtleheads
2079261170099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

"definite-marked tussock moth"
2847501140099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

cool spider web
2634899100099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

These were all seen along the "Loon Trail" at Maidstone.
(my Great Grandparents, and Grandmother (aged 16-17 at the time) were the first caretakers there) :cool:

Nice picture of turtleheads. I've seen turtleheads before but as pictured in my trip to Shaw I could see why 'turtle heads' is a fitting name.

Northern slopes of Bearpen Mountain in the Catskills

edit: Thanks for the identification help. There are many invasive plants in this area which is reforested agricultural land. This is an area I will hike frequently. I intend to explore it more in more depth while being careful not to spread the invaders further.

Knapweed:

Goldenrod:

Rosa canina: Dog Rose:

Arctium lappa, greater burdock (although Arctium minus is possible), both are present in this area:

Last edited:
The mystery plant is some kind of rose. I think it's in genus Rosa, and it's likely to be R. Canina, "dog rose", "rose-hip". I can't tell it apart from most other roses and brambles (except when it's flowering), but it's very common.

yes on the rose but they are difficult, you have to look at things like where are the prickles and the stipules (the funny-looking flaps at the base of the leaves). Could be R. multiflora (esp. if the rose hips are small & numerous in clusters) who knows though.

the other one looks more like great burdock (Arctium lappa) to me, rather than thistle, though I could be wrong. Arctium lappa rather than A. minus due to the long-stalked burrs (A. minus has short-stalked burrs)

Since this is General Backcounty, here's some pictures from my recent trip to Newfoundland - all were taken near the Tablelands mountains. I'm not sure what the flowers in the first and third pictures are:

370931724_5KthS-M.jpg

Pitcher Plant

370931963_hLnaT-M.jpg

370931641_6hmuP-M.jpg

cgarby said:
Since this is General Backcounty, here's some pictures from my recent trip to Newfoundland - all were taken near the Tablelands mountains.
drool... one of these days I will get up to the maritimes.

1st pic: something in the pink family (Caryophyllaceae). Looks like an Arenaria or Minuartia or Sagina. If near the sea, I'd guess Sagina nodosa. Reasoning is that the petals are rounded rather than notched (Minuartia are notched), but I'm not familiar with the arctic flora.

3rd pic: do you have any closeups? could be a Gnaphaleum (cudweed).

One really good resource is the Digital Flora of Newfoundland which has lots of good pics. (warning: not sure if it's a comprehensive list so they might be leaving out possible species matches)

please post more! :D

arghman said:
drool... one of these days I will get up to the maritimes....
...3rd pic: do you have any closeups? could be a Gnaphaleum (cudweed).
...please post more! :D

Unfortunately, that is it for the flower pics. I highly recommend Newfoundland - just don't take the ferry (it took us 3 days to get there).

That's a campanula at lower left in number three.

Can't see much detail of the white flowers at right in number three, but (no surprise) I think arghman is on the right track with the gnaphalium. My first impression was pearly everlasting (anaphalis margaritacea a.k.a. gnaphalium margaritaceum) but your flower looks too small to be P.E.

Edelweiss said:
We just got back from a trip to Indiana and hiked in Brown County State Park (south of Indianapolis). I found this flower in a marsh area next to a lake. It's huge, perhaps 6-8 inches across. Any ideas what it is?

My call would be swamp rose-mallow, hibiscus moscheutos.

"Flowers (to 8 in. across) tend to be white with red or purple center." - Peterson