Things you find in huts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
I find my self fascinated by the practical and impractical items found in AMC huts or any mountain shacks. If you do photograph these things then please post your shots here :)

342482156_eeeabdd2e2_o.jpg

I don't have pics, but last summer, we were cleaning up a leanto and we found:

1 machete! :eek:
1 Bible! (Hopefully owned by 2 different people!)
14 containers of water, most of which still had water in them
1 energy drink
1 punctured gallon jug
1 sponge
1 Brillo pad
5 cooking tongs
1 roll of toilet paper
2 paddle ball paddles
1 paddle ball
1 length of rope
1 ball of twine
1 can of bug spray
1 bug coil
1 water bladder

Nice series. Who would have thought, two shots of "weed" and "pot" in the same thread...

What are the clothespins on? I can't tell from the photo.

- darren

Thanks Darren,

The clothespins are on the vent, right above the burners of the stove.

mistletoe rooster*

On a recent stay at Zealand Hut, I asked the caretaker about the suspended rooster*. He told me that it apparently serves the same function as mistletoe. I stood under it for five minutes after he told me that and nothing happened though, (lack of local knowledge I guess :eek:) I'm just spreading the word so more people are aware of the power of the rooster*. I feel it's probably being underutilized.

I like the pictures and the idea for taking them. It's funny the stuff that humans accumulate or add to our environment even in the "backcountry".

*I specifically avoided the c*ck word because that could put a whole different spin on the idea of mistletoe. :eek:

I have enjoyed everyone's pictures in this thread. Brambor, that last photo is amazing. There is wonderful sense of detachment in the three guys. It gives us the fly on the wall view of a slice of life. It is an amazingly clean composition without any unnecessary distractions. I love that we can see into the next room. The tile background lends a very nice, surreal backdrop.

Edward Hopper was a NYC based painter who had an amazing eye for producing this type of scene. He often painted such detached scenes of people in restaurants, cafeterias, automats, offices, hotel rooms, all caught in off moments doing every day things. Nighthawks at a Greenwich Village diner is perhaps his most famous painting. Your photo is very reminiscent of that genre.

Thank You. The picture was taken at Ingolstadter Hut on the border of Austria and Germany.
407717973_5f1c74b8f7_o.jpg