Thomas Cole/Blacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic108

Reaction score
I am trying top plan a hike for Monday of the coles, and blacks. I would like to avoid crampons and use snowshoes if possible. Is anyone aware of the snow pack and/or conditions on that trail or in that aspect of the park ? Or of course any advice !

I was at Windham on Sunday skiing and thought that the snow pack looked a bit better on some trails that and expected but I dont want to be caught unprepared.

Thanks alot

Medic108, you might want to repost your question in the Q&A forum to give it more visibility. Trip Reports is for detailed trip reports after hikes and is not as widely read as Q&A.

All of the recent trail conditions reports from the Blackhead Range mention that crampons (even ice axe) were essential, and that snowshoes were not required:
blackhead range trail- thomas cole mtn., 01/11/04
Black Dome Trail -- Black Dome, Jan 10
Thomas Cole,Blackdome Mt., 1/4/04
There has only been about 2 inches of snow in Windham this week, perhaps a but more on the summits, so I suspect the above recommendations are still applicable. When the Blackheads are icy, I have usually found the section of the Escarpment trail on the north slope of Blackhead to be the most treacherous. Rather than doing a loop it is best to use the Blackhead Mountain trail (west side) for both climbing/descending Blackhead.

I am curious. I assume you were speaking of the trail snow pack at Ski Windham (downhill) last Sunday. And yes, Darrell does have the snow guns going full tilt creating the "blizzard of oz" (a little compressor engineer lingo). If you are speaking of the XC ski trails at White Birches, then I guess I am due for a visit.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark - yes I was referring to the downhill trails - Darrell is working OT. I do 1 or 2 weekend medic shifts down there...While at Windham it seemed that the off trail sections had a bit more snow then I expected, but now I realize that was probalby from the guns blowing snow all over as opposed to natural fall. I have not checked the XC trails....

But more importantly, I appreciate your advise regarding the Q&A and also the trail and equipment. I have posted a few trail reports in the past but am otherwise new to this forum. I appreciate the info.

Thanks