Thoughts on Newfoundland hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chip said:
Wall Street Journal just had a nice article about Newfoundland, all very upbeat about the people and sights, except for the fishing industry. Moratoriums have been called due to over-fishing.

I was there in 2002 and the locals were saying that the moritorium on fishing had killed the local industries and many of the fisherman had migrated inland to seek other careers. The ecomony of Newfoundland at that time was not good.

Chip said:
Wall Street Journal just had a nice article about Newfoundland.....That area is on my To-Do list !

The Long Range Mountains are also on my "to do" list as well. In Summer 2003, I biked the Viking Trail with a Canadian bike touring company. Did anyone mention the wind farm and all those berries? Lots of wild berries in Newfoundland. Tablelands is beautiful. It is one of the UNESCO sites. Since I only biked, not hiked, I must go back for the latter. Gros Mourne NP is definitely on my "to do" list and Western Brook Pond is so breathtakingly beautiful.

May it stay beautiful and underdeveloped.

dentonfabrics said:
I was there in 2002 and the locals were saying that the moritorium on fishing had killed the local industries and many of the fisherman had migrated inland to seek other careers. The ecomony of Newfoundland at that time was not good.

The demise of the NFLD fishing industry goes back to the 60's as cod stocks were depleted. The CDN gov't actually put lot of the displaced fishermen to work on the Trans Canada Hwy,as it was linked across Newfoundland.

My first venture to Newfoundland was in 1966. It was "Come Home Year" for all the old Newfies who strayed to foreign lands. It was a final trip home for my grandfather,then in his early eighties.
We(my father and I) brought my grandfather to visit some friends from his youth. Imagine the reunion of 2 friends who haven't see each other in almost 50 years!

I spent a week inside a tent during the "perfect storm" of Gloucester fame. I was the only one in Gros Morne NP as it was closed. When I was picked up by the ferry on the end of Western Brook Pond, the first words I heard were my name, as they wanted to know if I was ok.
I hear there are buildings at the end of Western Brook Pond now. That makes me cringe. Ah, progress.

Revived thread - book recommendation

I know I could start a whole 'nother new thread, but wanted a little context for why this might be relevant. I am beginning to plan a three week road trip through the Canadian Maritimes and Newfoundland this summer. (hopefully)

I started doing a little research and stumbled on this book "The Iambics of Newfoundland" by Robert Finch. Lots of history, modern day experiences, politics, cultural info, etc. Well written and thought provoking. Even if I wasn't planning to visit I'd still say it was a worthwhile read. I recommend it! Also, if anyone wants to add hints and tips to this thread about traveling up that way, please chime in! I'm interested in more ideas. Thanks.

Are you driving around Newfoundland? The island is looked at almost in two separate and distinct halves. With three weeks, not sure how much you have dedicated on the island itself, you might be OK. However, we had to decide that the eastern shore (St. Johns area) would would not get two. We spent a week on the Western Peninsula. Getting to the other side is like 8 hours if I recall, and on some sketchy roads. So, that would've killed two days right there.

Some other helpful hints:

-If possible, get to the ferry early and wait. We lucked out (barely, literally the last car on the ship) and got an earlier ride back.
-Ferry overnight if possible. You can sleep in a bunk or on deck. We did both.
-If you notice two cars pulled over at 2:30 in the morning on the highway in Nova Scotia, question what they are up to. Take your foot off the gas, and for God's sake don't run over the same deer they did!! :eek:

A few places to check out along the way
Cape Spear Nfld. As far east as you can get on this continent.Excellent view
Cape Chignecto Provincial Park NS. Great hiking,awesome view on trails looking down 700ft to the Bay of Fundy
Hopewell Rocks New Brunswick-"The Flower Pots"
Rustico Lobster Dinner-Pig out PEI style!
The Cabot Trail-all of it-spectacular. My favorite places-Pleasant Bay and Meat Cove.
Glace Bay Mining Museum. Ever been 800 ft down in a mine? Here's your chance!
Fishing Cove Trail,Cape Breton. Watch the whales from your campsite.
The Tidal Bore,Truro NS(several other locations) depending on the moon cycle,it can be an awesome event.

Google 'em all for the details,and have an excellent trip!