Three wonderfull steep "hikes" in the Gunks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
This is a catch-up post about a trip I did on memorial day... Here goes...

For the past few months I have been climbing with something of a "partner" and it has been great. It is nice to have someone at your level who you can trust completely on belay, who has climbed things you cannot even fathom at this point in your life. I have been working to familiarize Mike to the world of "trad" climbing, he is an old-time sporty, as far as I can tell, but he shows promise!

Anyway. Mike was tired from a hard bouldering fest but DID NOT BAIL for the simple reason that the other partner I had lined up did. Props to the non-bailers out there. 2 1/2 hours later we were walking down the carriage trail. I had our day all planned out. Last trip I had rappelled down Ccalisthenic and found it applealing. Now I was leaping at the first hold on the route while my gear jangled across my bare chest. Yes! This was climbing!

I made short work of the run out slab, and on P2 I found myself at a curious overhang which I made short work of after z-clipping! Needless to say I was a bit pumped after putting all that protection in, but I felt pretty safe. Mike followed me up. We figured out how to rap down Calisthenic in 2 and were at the base checking on Shockley's.

It turned out to be free, but man, it was a scorcher. I chatted with an EMS guide while leading the start of the first pitch. The first belay was at a large white ledge that reflected the sun to make a perfect oven. I down-climbed and made a station behind a cool flake. Mike followed me up.

P2 was easy climbing but beautifully exposed and I was soon below the crux roof/horn. Mike passed over the gear while we discussed how to photograph the crux. It was a bit intimidating, so we decided it was best if he concentrated on belaying me. I performed the crux move without and ounce of grace, throwing my leg over the horn. I set another belay up quickly so I could watch Mike. He used a completely different technique to get up, but his way looked no less albatross-like. We jogged to the top.

(cont.)

Descent Calisthenic, climb something, or so goes the drill. This time the fight was on. Strictly from Nowhere was our target.

The first section looked like it had a bit of a roof for the crux, and I was feeling tired and dawdled a bit at the bottom getting psyched up. It was on. The bottom part was a beautiful crack that went at 5.7 with PG13 moves on the slabby section above. Then it got real steep! I found a small nut placement and down-climbed for a rest. I didn't trust that nut. I moved above the nut and managed to squeeze in a ball nut. Not great, but the pair should hold my fall I thought. As I down climbed past the manky nut my arms started to cramp. I took a good long break. My biceps were locking up in turn. I mentally re-couped. Time to go for it. I fought through the crux moves with spasming biceps and soon I was over the roof at a nice strong bolt. I clipped. Mike climbed up.

P2 was beautiful and overhanging and I loved every minute of it. Descend Calisthenic.

Down below I met a woman whom I had met about 1 year earlier on Bastille Crack in Eldorado. It is amazing how small the climbing world is!

It was late, but we both felt we had one pitch of energy left so we headed to the uberfall. I helped Mike to select Ken's Crack, which was a beautiful right leaning crack. He led up through the crux, pumped out trying to place gear, and backed off. We pulled the rope. I climbed the crack clipping his protection as I went. It was the best jamming of the day, and all his pieces were bomber. I placed one nut near the top, and Mike was soon cleaning his route. We down-climbed some 4th class thing and were soon back at the car.

Things I learned:
Grouping a bunch of routes and knowing your rappel station well is the only way to get miles in on multi-pitch.
The cinch gets really hot when you are rapping 100 feet.
Simul-rappels save a ton of time (if you are careful).
Gatorade before the climb can save a ton of cramping, but works remarkably well to save you if your second brings it up.

-percious

That's some steep hiking :D Shockley's is such a cool looking climb, glad you guys got on it... I've yet to make it to the Gunks this season...

I can't give you any more reps, sorry ;)

Fine trip report; your description of Shockley's brings back the memories. We never rapped in the old days, playing it safe walking back to the Uberfall 3rd class descent route between climbs.

Nice article by Mark Synnott on ten classic climbs in the Northeast in this month's AMC Outdoors, which includes High E at Gunks.

Pictures... Site introduction.

Long awaited the 2.0 release of percious.com .

Why not cap it off with an album from the gunks!

Enjoy:
http://percious.webfactional.com/album/107
DSC02046.JPG

Also,
Here are a few pics from Chatfield Hollow, a wonderful state park in CT. This was Colden's first technical climb:

http://percious.webfactional.com/album/106
DSC01693.JPG

Have fun taking down my new site guys!

-percious

Last edited:
Cool stuff... and he's got Mad Monkeys!! That's awesome! :D

Chatfield Hollow is a nice area with some cool rock... Kiddy slab?
Did ya give that 12 a try?

cbcbd said:
Cool stuff... and he's got Mad Monkeys!! That's awesome! :D

Chatfield Hollow is a nice area with some cool rock... Kiddy slab?
Did ya give that 12 a try?

No, I did not "Wallow in the Hollow". Maybe i'll give it a try next time. To the left of the kiddy slab are some really nice pumpy 10s. I top-sighted one of those :).

-percious

We just did our first (independent of instructors) climb yesterday at St John's.
Top rope anchors were Secure, Redundant, Equal and Not Extended ;) . So I did my job properly and the boys climbed pretty well. It is a bit intimidating setting your first independent anchors and belaying your children.

This last reference is nice, but I would also point trad climbers to John Longs Second Edition of Climbing anchors for an up-to-date, in-depth discussion on the flaws of the cordelette, the equalette, and how equalization has been determined in and out of the field and laboratory and the reality of the situation in the field.

blacklab2020 said:
This last reference is nice, but I would also point trad climbers to John Longs Second Edition of Climbing anchors for an up-to-date, in-depth discussion on the flaws of the cordelette, the equalette, and how equalization has been determined in and out of the field and laboratory and the reality of the situation in the field.
Will do. We could use a Climbing Forum, eh ? Darren ?