Tice Teneyck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Hi -

Re: Tice Teneyck in Boiceville/Shokan: just wondering - correct pronounciation on this one? Meaning?

Where I grew up (Rockland County NY) Ten Eyck was a local family name. I assumed it was Dutch. I was guessing this is too, but I've heard some very different ways of saying it.

Thanks,
H

Hi -

Re: Tice Teneyck in Boiceville/Shokan: just wondering - correct pronounciation on this one? Meaning?

Where I grew up (Rockland County NY) Ten Eyck was a local family name. I assumed it was Dutch. I was guessing this is too, but I've heard some very different ways of saying it.

Thanks,
H

Ten Eyck is also a local Dutch name here (Albany cap. dist.), and is usually pronounced "ten (as in the number 10) Ike" here.

Hi -

Thanks,
H
Are you refering to the Mountain? I've always seen it spelled Ticetonyk. No doubt, a variation of the same name.

Thanks guys - I was thinking it might be a Mark S. question. Can we have an "Ask Mark Shaefer" forum? I have questions about the Krums/Kroms of Krumville too! And Sahler of Upper and lower Sahler Mill Road. I'll have to look for a Town of Olive history site... in my spare time ;)

I've seen it spelled both ways too, Ian. I have a 1909 map at home - I'm pretty sure it is Tice Teneyck on there... fwiw :) Ten Eyck makes sense if it's dutch, but I don't know about tonyk - is that a phonetic spelling of somthing else, or just a variant? I don't know.

I thought it was "ten Ike" - but wasn't sure.

:)
H

Last edited:
I agree with all of the above. It is pronounced Tice (rhymes with ice) Ten Ike. The gazetteer in the Guide to the Catskills, published by Walking News, 1975, page 423, has the following description for Ticetonyk:
Dutch name for "steep ladder" or "steep ascent". Old spelling: Ticetenyck.
There were several Ten Eyck families in Ulster County, and several old stone houses bearing the name in the towns of Hurley and Marbletown. Some of the family connections are listed here.